NO

Author Topic: Additional library  (Read 6170 times)

Alessio

Additional library
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
Hi,

I just want add a library to PellesC.
I add it using folders under Tools->Option menu.
The library is not found ( missing header error )

Why ?

It works only if I add library under project settings,
but I want it to be default for all projects.

Thank you,
Alessio.

JohnF

Re: Additional library
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:07 PM »
Hi,

Why ?

It works only if I add library under project settings,
but I want it to be default for all projects.

Thank you,
Alessio.

This is not a bug report and should be moved.

Copy the library to the PellesC\Lib folder which is where PellesC will look for it.

John

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »

I have tried it some time ago and it worked fine, when I add the path to the library at Tools->Options->Folders->Libraries (or with the german equivalent to it ;) ).
best regards
 Alex ;)

Alessio

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:51:29 PM »
Copy the library to the PellesC\Lib folder which is where PellesC will look for it.

No, for library I mean a external library like MySQL, not a lib file.

No, I want use external libraries with other compilers than PellesC.
I think that Tools->Options->Folders->Libraries exists for that use, but doesn't works.

Alessio.

JohnF

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:26:24 AM »

No, for library I mean a external library like MySQL, not a lib file.

Alessio.

If it's not a library what is it?

John

Alessio

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
Problem confirmed.

Please see http://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=3291.0 (note that can be recursive! :) )

Alessio

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
The problem is, that global settings for the library and include file paths are not inherited by existing projects.
They are only inherited, when creating new projects.

So one needs to manually add the globally added paths to the existing projects properties.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »
Alessio I don't think this is a bug, this behaviour seems consistent.
Consider that you have old projects that could be compiled and linked without any problem, why they should be modified to include new folders with libraries that they evidently don't need?
Moreover for some projects you may have used libraries, or includes, with conflicting names, this will not allow you to recompile your old projects unless major change.
On the other hand if you reorganize your libraries, moving them around in different directories, the small overhead to fix project paths should be considered a natural conseguence.
For same reason it have to be considered correct that if you create new libraries, that can potentially be used in all future projects, the system adds their directories in freshly created projects.
One more consideration is about the creation of new folders and libraries, for the same issues explained before you have to create global folders only for very standard libraries (as the C standard lib are) to avoid problems where you use different versions or tailored libs in your projects.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:34:31 AM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Alessio

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
For same reason it have to be considered correct that if you create new libraries, that can potentially be used in all future projects, the system adds their directories in freshly created projects.

Yes, but I think that if I create new libraries when a project is already OPEN, newly library should be added to the current project.
Why not ?

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
Yes, but I think that if I create new libraries when a project is already OPEN, newly library should be added to the current project.
This means that each time you reopen an old project happen the same:
why they should be modified to include new folders with libraries that they evidently don't need?
If you are just creating the project it should be not a big issue to manually modify the first one, the others will follow, but when reopen old projects you are absolutely sure that nothing changes.
I mean, by experience believe me, that when you go back to something old it's already a big stress to remember what was done, immagine if something automatically update it from outside....  :o
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Alessio

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
This means that each time you reopen an old project happen the same:

Absolutely not!

If you reopen an old project nothing should change

BUT

if you reopen an old project AND (when that project is open) you add new libraries, those should be added to project!