NO

Author Topic: Version 6.50, Release Candidate #1 available  (Read 27629 times)

Online AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
Re: Version 6.50, Release Candidate #1 available
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
AlexN: the problem should now be fixed. In the future, it would be helpful if you could reduce the problem to a smaller test case (the problematic function was indicated in the error message). Now I had to spend an hour creating a smaller case, and ten minutes to fix the problem. There are more of you than me, so I need all the help I can get.
Thank you for the fix and sorry that I don't reduce the problem (but at last time I had problems with this program and Pelles C, I tried some evnings to reduce the problem without sucess, so I forgot it this time - sorry again).
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:13 PM »
Thank you for the fix and sorry that I don't reduce the problem (but at last time I had problems with this program and Pelles C, I tried some evnings to reduce the problem without sucess, so I forgot it this time - sorry again).
No problem - it was just a note to you and other people reading this thread.

(I will wait a few days before uploading Relase Candidate #2 - in case there is something else to be fixed).
/Pelle

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
If i open new .asm file for compiling it build or compile buttons/menus are not active in this version.
May the source be with you

Online AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:32 PM »
Is it a new feature or a bug?  ???

When I create a new source or open a short short file, the area for the line numbers and folding information is not coloured untilo the bottom of the window. It is only coloured as far as the source is.

If it is a feature, I liked the old colouring more. :(

PS: This happens under Vista and XP.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:05:05 PM by AlexN »
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »
This problem exists in this version too:
http://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=3140.0

Romashka

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 08:52:21 AM »
Which UAC popup?! You need to be admin to run the IDE, if that's what you mean. This is by design.

Ah, didn't know that it's by design.

2) it is impossible to select non-TTF fonts in Options->Source->Font->Name selectbox
Not really. What I want to do is to remove 80% of the fonts on my machine - installed by Windows, or more likely some other application - for languages I don't understand, with characters I can't read. If I don't do this, the list of fonts is annoyingly long here. You can play with the attached program to see which condition is filtering out your favorite font...
Found the problem.
Windows SDK documentation says this about EnumFontFaceProc:
pntm - Pointer to a structure that contains information about the physical attributes of a font.
The function uses the NEWTEXTMETRICEX structure for TrueType fonts; and the TEXTMETRIC structure for other fonts.
Thus attempting to use fields of NEWTEXTMETRICEX *pntm lead to invalid results.
A check for whether the font is TTF is needed:
Code: [Select]
if (dwFontType == TRUETYPE_FONTTYPE)
{
    /* The font must have at least one of the supported locales */
    if ((pntm->ntmFontSig.fsCsb[0] & pls->lsCsbSupported[0]) == 0 &&
        (pntm->ntmFontSig.fsCsb[1] & pls->lsCsbSupported[1]) == 0)
        return 1;
}
The attached file contains the fixed source (and 64-bit .exe) and test output from my machine.
1.txt is what you're trying to avoid, 2.txt is what IDE currently does, 3.txt is the same plus non-TTF fonts.

EDIT: also, the font on help pages is smaller and harder to read now :(
There is a new button in the help window specifically for changing the font size. I suggest you use it!!
I see the button, and it's really useful.
However, it doesn't fix the problem. The font is too bold and contrasty because of antialiasing. Font lines are always at least 2 pixels wide. They were thinner in v6.0. Perhaps the old version didn't use anti-aliasing.
(I don't know if it has to do something with the added DPI awareness. I have 22" 16:10 1680x1050 monitor with default Windows DPI settings)
If it is possible to tune anti-aliasing of fonts in the Help, or optionally turn it off - that would be nice. If it's hard to do - nevermind.

Online AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »
Which UAC popup?! You need to be admin to run the IDE, if that's what you mean. This is by design.

Ah, didn't know that it's by design.
It's not realy by design. I installed Pelles C 6.50 RC1 on an USB-stick to my portable applikations and start it with an command line like this:
poide /n /x /xml my65.xml

... and no UAC pops up. :)

I used it with Vista and XP.
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
Should there be a portable zip version of these rc versions ?

Online AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »
Should there be a portable zip version of these rc versions ?

If you copy your installed Pelles C directory on an USB-stick and copy the sysdefs.tag from the %APPDATA%\Pelles C directory in the bin directory on the USB-stick and start your poide with the option /xml (like in my previous message) all works fine. :)
best regards
 Alex ;)

CommonTater

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
Absolutely excellent...  Thank you Pelle!

iZzz32

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »
Wow, such a good news! Thank you, Pelle!

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »
If i open new .asm file for compiling it build or compile buttons/menus are not active in this version.
I can't remember right now if it used to work, but I will look at it...
/Pelle

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Is it a new feature or a bug?  ???

When I create a new source or open a short short file, the area for the line numbers and folding information is not coloured untilo the bottom of the window. It is only coloured as far as the source is.
It's a new feature. It makes it a little clearer where the file actually ends. It took me a few days to get used to it, but I like this better now...
/Pelle

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
This problem exists in this version too:
http://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=3140.0
Not sure what is correct or not right now. I will look at it...

EDIT: I guess most sane programmers avoid octal escape sequences. I know I do. Should be fixed...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:37:05 PM by Pelle »
/Pelle

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
Found the problem.
Windows SDK documentation says this about EnumFontFaceProc:
pntm - Pointer to a structure that contains information about the physical attributes of a font.
The function uses the NEWTEXTMETRICEX structure for TrueType fonts; and the TEXTMETRIC structure for other fonts.
Thus attempting to use fields of NEWTEXTMETRICEX *pntm lead to invalid results.
A check for whether the font is TTF is needed:
The attached file contains the fixed source (and 64-bit .exe) and test output from my machine.
1.txt is what you're trying to avoid, 2.txt is what IDE currently does, 3.txt is the same plus non-TTF fonts.
Ah, OK. Missed that one. Thanks...!

I see the button, and it's really useful.
However, it doesn't fix the problem. The font is too bold and contrasty because of antialiasing. Font lines are always at least 2 pixels wide. They were thinner in v6.0. Perhaps the old version didn't use anti-aliasing.
(I don't know if it has to do something with the added DPI awareness. I have 22" 16:10 1680x1050 monitor with default Windows DPI settings)
If it is possible to tune anti-aliasing of fonts in the Help, or optionally turn it off - that would be nice. If it's hard to do - nevermind.
Displaying the help file *should* be completely out of my control (it's done by the HTMLHelp engine). Since version 6.0 I really only flipped on a checkbox in the help generator program (for the new button), and recompiled. I can't see how that can affect anything. Also, I don't see any difference on my machine.

EDIT: of course, the font is choosen from a family of fonts which depends on the Windows version the help is displayed on. You may get "Segoe UI" which needs "ClearType" to be actived on a LCD screen (I have this enabled). Is this "off" on your computer?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:41:20 PM by Pelle »
/Pelle