NO

Author Topic: pelles documentation, manual, tutorial, sample programs, reference???  (Read 11800 times)

steve newman

hello-
i am an experienced C programmer (professional till retiring in 2000).
I just installed Pelles for recreational programming.  Is there any book,
tutorial, manual, reference,sample programs, etc.   anywhere for Pelles
IDE.  The online help is very limited.  I want to save time getting up to
speed by reading up, rather than just groping around.
  thanks

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
Re: pelles documentation, manual, tutorial, sample programs, reference???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
What kind of information are you missing?

The simplest is to start a project with one of the wizards and fill it with life.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

steve newman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
hi stefan-
  I would like to see the library functions that are available-  in particular the math functions.
the data structures that are supported.  Can the lib.h files be viewed while in the IDE?
  I would like to have a reference specific to Pelles at my side when i work. Something that spells out
what the built in functions do, what arguments they take, what they return,  examples of use, etc.

or do i need to just buy a generic c programming reference book, and assume that pelles just implements
everything in the generic way.

I am particularly interested in developing math applications to research number theory and combinatorial theory.

also-any documentation on what's involved in making windows programs as opposed to the
dos box applications.  How does Pelles support producing graphs?
  Where is all this information located?

thanks
steve

CommonTater

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:03 PM »
Hi Steve ... it's very simple ... Start POIDE (Pelles CDE) then Press F1 on your keyboard.  Pelles C comes with one of the best help files I've ever seen.  Seriously, just about everything you want to know is there.

Also ... place the text cursor on any coloured keyword and press F1 ... for specific help.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:02:14 PM by CommonTater »

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
Pelle's C aims to support C99, so everything that is defined by that standard is available and in fact is described in the online help. Just starting the "Contents" of the online help give you a table of all intrinsic functions in a table, there isn't much else you could possibly need.
And in the "Contents" tab of the help, yes, you can "view" all the include files (.h) just fine, with an example for each and every function. Not sure what more you are looking for in this case.

As far as programming for Windows goes, the best way to get the Microsoft Windows SDK and associated documentation.

And as far as "producing graphs" goes, Pelle's C does not include any special graphics libraries, but there is an abundance of 3rd party libraries around, like the SDL stuff. For this and possibly others, examples should be in the "User contributions" and "Graphics programming" sections of this this forum...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »
Here's a couple of links to go with what Ralf was saying...  (Hi Ralf :D )

For a starter on Windows programming try --->  http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

For full winapi documentation --> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18950

Pelles C includes a set of Windows headers and libs that match nicely with this version of the SDK.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:55:02 PM by CommonTater »

steve newman

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:22:40 AM »
Well thanks for all these helpful responses.
It's very nice to know that besides having a highly respected C ide, Pelles also has
such a knowledgeable and supportive community. 
  I will look into all the documentation you referred me to. ( I should have been able to find
that myself).  One last question for  now-  does anyone know of a good math library to
use with Pelles C?  One that does things like matrices, eignevalues, determinants, permutations,
partitions, etc.
  Thanks and best wishes.
steve

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:39:40 AM »
One last question for  now-  does anyone know of a good math library to
use with Pelles C?  One that does things like matrices, eignevalues, determinants, permutations,
partitions, etc.
I haven't had much use for this myself (though I am currently working on some statistics stuff in Pascal), my bookmarks have at least sites which should contain what you might need, considering that this should be all compiler/OS independent stuff

http://netlib.org/cephes/

and

http://www.mymathlib.com/

Should at least give you a start...  ;)

Ralf

vmars316

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »
Hello Steve Newman,
I am a senior citizen myself
and starting to learn "C" programming.
...Vernon