NO

Author Topic: polib: broken error message  (Read 22138 times)

czerny

polib: broken error message
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »
Try to build this library project and look at the error message. It is not readable.

CommonTater

Re: polib: broken error message
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »
I get....
Code: [Select]
Building logview.lib.
POLIB: fatal error: File not found: 'Shlwapi.lib'.
*** Error code: 1 ***
Done.

If I remove shlwapi.lib from the librarian's options, it builds just fine.

If you #define WIN32_DEFAULT_LIBS  before you #include any of the windows headers Pelles C will automatically include the correct libraries for you.  Very handy.

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »
PellesC shouldn't bark at the shell lightweight API library, since it is shipping with PellesC for x86 and x86-64.

Haven't checked the projects library paths, but that might cause the problem.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

czerny

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
Lock at this picture, to understand what I mean.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
Use the attached project.
I found in the library manager that you set to include the shlwapi library in your library.
If you intentionally added it that was the error, if not there is a problem in the library wizard.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

czerny

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »
This module is part of a bigger project which builds without errors. The included lib is not the problem, see picture.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:50:22 PM »
But you don't have to include it here!
Look at the picture....
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

czerny

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
But you don't have to include it here!
Look at the picture....
Hallo Frankie,

see my last post.That's not the point.

czerny

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »
Ok, from the command line I can not run polink. I get 'not a valid win32 application'.

CommonTater

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »
Ok, from the command line I can not run polink. I get 'not a valid win32 application'.

You aren't by any chance trying to build a 64 bit application from 32 bits Windows, are you?

32 bit OS does not recognize and will not run 64 bit programs... 
Could you perhaps have mixed up the versions or something?

My suggestion would be to uninstall, reinstall and try this again...

czerny

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »
I have just reinstalled Pelles C. I have compared the two polib.exe files (md5). The two are identical. The problem remains.

I fear that Pelle uses a new Microsoft Compiler. I have seen a lot of free software which does not longer run under win2k if compiled with the new Visual Studio 10. I wonder why the other tools are running?

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »
I have just reinstalled Pelles C. I have compared the two polib.exe files (md5). The two are identical. The problem remains.

I fear that Pelle uses a new Microsoft Compiler. I have seen a lot of free software which does not longer run under win2k if compiled with the new Visual Studio 10. I wonder why the other tools are running?
Sorry, but I seriously doubt that!!!!
Even though he doesn't provide the source code, I am pretty sure that Pelle's C is self-hosting for a long time, simply no need/purpose in using any MS compiler...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »

Everything works here... CL and in projects.  The 32 bit version works on my XP box as well...

If there was a problem with 32bit POLIB I'm guessing the hue and cry would be up and going by now...

Maybe it's finally time for you to update that antique machine of yours... XP with sp3 will probably work with your current hardware and will most likely work with a LOT more software than Win2k...

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
If there was a problem with 32bit POLIB I'm guessing the hue and cry would be up and going by now...
+1
And as I mentioned before, it is highly doubtful that Pelle uses anything bu this own compiler for this....
Maybe it's finally time for you to update that antique machine of yours... XP with sp3 will probably work with your current hardware and will most likely work with a LOT more software than Win2k...
Which legally isn't an option anymore...  ;)

But I doubt that this is a problem with the OS he's running on, I suspect rather a subtle issue elsewhere that's just happen to rear it's ugly head after the latest update of Pelle's C....

Ralf

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Seems that the PE header contains a higher target release than W2k allows.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team