NO

Author Topic: Spammers....  (Read 14880 times)

CommonTater

Spammers....
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
Maybe it's time to install the "type what you see" image thing for new accounts?

This last couple of days have been ridiculous for spam...

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
Re: Spammers....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Maybe it's time to install the "type what you see" image thing for new accounts?

This last couple of days have been ridiculous for spam...
That's not going to help anything, as those a human drones and therefor will defeat whatever method you come up with.
Only thing that helps is a few vigilant moderators that zap the crap and the users posting it as quick as possible...

Ralf

tbohon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »
Agree with Bitbeisser ... someone needs to scan the forums periodically, zap the spam and block the users who posted it.  For example there is one right now in this same forum - some kind of joint pain treatment.

Alternatively maybe there is a way that we could notify someone when we find a suspicious posting ... ???

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
I have been cleaning out the spam from last night today in the morning, which were about 30 messages.

I haven't seen so much spam here for a long time, seems Christmas is near.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
I have been cleaning out the spam from last night today in the morning, which were about 30 messages.

I haven't seen so much spam here for a long time, seems Christmas is near.

A veritable flood of bad tasting meat byproducts... :D

The type what you see thing will stop a robot but not a human...

CommonTater

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 12:56:10 AM »
Gees... can you IP block this guy? 

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 03:30:17 AM »
Gees... can you IP block this guy?
I don't know about the other moderators/admins, but I always select the option to ban the user by name, IP and email address. But sometimes, I can't do this right away when I get a stupid "service not available" message from the moderator console once in a while...

Ralf

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
I don't know about the other moderators/admins, but I always select the option to ban the user by name, IP and email address. But sometimes, I can't do this right away when I get a stupid "service not available" message from the moderator console once in a while...
I too always ban the IPs used to post.

I have checked with Christian about the 503 message and it seems to be fixed now.
---
Stefan

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »

I have checked with Christian about the 503 message and it seems to be fixed now.
Well, didn't get that error message last night and this morning anymore, though it always has been intermittent.

There seems to be indeed a lot more spammers right now as usual, I zapped about half a dozen last night during (late) dinner and this morning during breakfast...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
There seems to be indeed a lot more spammers right now as usual, I zapped about half a dozen last night during (late) dinner and this morning during breakfast...

Ralf

I'd bet it's all one person with multiple accounts and IPs... Do they, by chance, all originate in the same general area?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:25:37 PM by CommonTater »

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 12:49:04 AM »

Ralf

I'd bet it's all one person with multiple accounts and IPs... Do they, by chance, all originate in the same general area?
No, they are all over the place...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
That sucks ...  And here I was all set to tell you to block the state of California :D ...  It seemed likely, since it all started more or less at the same time, that it was all being done by one person.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »

Well, I can only confirm that this is not fixed, I still keep getting randomly those 503 errors when trying to zap/ban a spammer....  :-\

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 12:18:57 AM »
I have had good results with moderating newly registered users.

Sure it will increase the workload for moderators, but we can catch spam early, before it will show up in the forum.
---
Stefan