NO

Author Topic: Is Pelles C a dead fish?  (Read 74653 times)

CommonTater

Re: Is Pelles C a dead fish?
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
Then it's about high time do some housekeeping and go for a nice long walk.

Ain't that the truth. 

CommonTater

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
For Pelle....

I thank you Sir, for Pelles C... I use it every day and I am extremely grateful for your generosity in sharing it.

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
If you have spent your life behind a microscope, you are bound to wake up one fine day finding your hair has gone gray and one of a few reamining summers is in front of your door...

Hi akko,

If you like science and if you are a biologist loving your profession, believe me there is no any reason for the dark panorama you described. Think about great people like Richard Feynman who enjoyed the mystery and beauty of science.
Code it... That's all...

andre104

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
or is it worth supporting?

Some folks prefer C to C++, and AFAIK Pelles C is the only full featured C IDE that conforms to C standard (C99, C11).
Cross platform support is a nice thing to have, but some people don't need it.
MS nowadays is focusing their work in C++, not C.

I guess the answer is a symphatetic YES.  :)

akko

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
Hi Vortex

I know what you mean perfectly well, but where I live taking a break and a good walk is not considered as dark panorama. ;-) We usually return home full of new energy.

I sincerely hope that Pelle will continue maintaining his great compiler.

Seltsamuel

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »
Hi,

here seems at last to be a place where some life exists .. so let me jump into the discussion.

I for myself stumbled upon PellesC some years ago when i was in the need to find a lightwight c compiler with a aceptable IDE that was finally able to do __declspec(naked) in the ASM part.
And guess what? you wont find any beside this bloated microsoft vehicle. Another important thing for me was that i would be able to package my entire project together with a working compiler IDE for distribution on a later state. So the question is what is he doing? I use PellesC for game modding and wrote my entire modmanager with it. I have to interface heavy codeparts written with PellesC with gamecode in binary format that i have no sources for with code injection and asm callstubs.. thats a nice challenge.

I personally think that a great brick in the way of more people using PellesC for real Developments is the incompytibility when using .dll files and headers prepared for other VC. For example i only managed to use some only when recreating my own .def and .lib files from the .dll.

At the moment im interested into integration of a webbrowser into my modmanager to entirely build my UI with it and struggling to get chromium or webkit to do something.. When i have success with it i will be glad to release a "Hello World" example project ready for PellesC. Additionally i managed long time ago to get SDL some giflibs, GD, allegro, SFML and some other libs working with PellesC.. for all i had to struggle to get the .dll versions to run without crash. Maybe we should start a board for collected efforts to get external librarys running with PellesC ?

Greetings

Seltsamuel

CommonTater

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
Ok... for what it's worth ...

I now understand why nobody is sharing source code or libraries.

It would be nice if the world didn't work the way it does...
But as we've seen in other threads, the price of generosity is just too high.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:29:02 PM by CommonTater »