NO

Author Topic: Adding extra files to Projects...  (Read 4385 times)

Anonymous

Adding extra files to Projects...
« on: April 16, 2005, 11:52:19 PM »
Hi Pelle,
Would it be possible to allow adding additional/extra files to our project lists?  

For example... When working on Error-X, I always end up opening the errorx.h file, even though it's not required to compile the project.

Being able to list this in an "Extra Files" section of the project would save me the hassle of having to hunt it down and manually open it every time.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 01:49:36 PM »
It's already possible, but you have to stay away from the "reserved" extensions like *.c, *.h, *.asm, etc. Using, for example, the extension *.txt should be safe.

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 07:57:36 PM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
It's already possible, but you have to stay away from the "reserved" extensions like *.c, *.h, *.asm, etc. Using, for example, the extension *.txt should be safe.
Pelle

But that kinda defeats the value of it...  Then I'd have to make a copy of the header file (or whatever) and rename it, giving me two files I have to update instead of one.  

Oh well...

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 12:03:26 AM »
If the header file is that important, why the heck isn't it included in the first place???

If it's a "public interface" file, for example, it should still be included in the project, to make sure the function prototypes matches the real definitions...

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 03:21:49 AM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
If the header file is that important, why the heck isn't it included in the first place???

Because there's no real reason to include it for purposes of compilation, the process behaves the same with or without it... so why give the compiler one more header to search?

If it's a "public interface" file, for example, it should still be included in the project, to make sure the function prototypes matches the real definitions...

I suppose... but what a pain!  In my File-X project, for example,  I would have to add "#include <filex.h>" in 160 source files that compile perfectly well without it.  

No biggy... I was just thinking how convenient it would be to have the file listed in the project window where I can just click on it to load it and modify it.  I can still carry on with it as is... no problem.