NO

Author Topic: Wiki Anti-spam strategy  (Read 13560 times)

Offline Christian

• Administrator
    • http://www.pellesc.de
Wiki Anti-spam strategy
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »
Hi,

due to an increased amount of spam in our wiki, I decided to give only a selected group the right to edit articles. Also I have to delete a lot of SPAM users. If you are between the deleted users, please just register again.

Wiki Authors please tell me here or via PM that you need authoring access.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but some "nice" persons in the www pushing me to this way.

Christian
www.pellesc.de - German PellesC mirror (now available in german and english)

Offline MrBcx

• Global Moderator
    • Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
Re: Wiki Anti-spam strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »
Hi,

due to an increased amount of spam in our wiki, I decided to give only a selected group the right to edit articles. Also I have to delete a lot of SPAM users. If you are between the deleted users, please just register again.

Wiki Authors please tell me here or via PM that you need authoring access.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but some "nice" persons in the www pushing me to this way.

Christian

Hi Christian,

I recently installed SMF on BcxBasic.com. 

Today the top board (Announcements) was flooded with spam. 
I deleted that board and replaced it with one named (Notices)

Can you give me any tips on making these automated spam attacks less burdensome?
Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
https://www.BcxBasicCoders.com

Offline jj2007

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
Yes, spamming is a problem on this board. Today there is one lengthy prose here with some links embedded in a rubbish text.

One strategy (if possible with SMF) would be to allow for every new member below, say, ten posts:
- only three short posts per day, in the same thread
- without links

That would allow short "welcome" threads with some questions and at the same time effectively block attempts to place stupid links.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:05:31 PM »
Yes, spamming is a problem on this board. Today there is one lengthy prose here with some links embedded in a rubbish text.
Spam is a problem on pretty much ALL web forums, but this thread in particular is about the Pelle's C Wiki page, not this forum...
One strategy (if possible with SMF) would be to allow for every new member below, say, ten posts:
- only three short posts per day, in the same thread
- without links

That would allow short "welcome" threads with some questions and at the same time effectively block attempts to place stupid links.
That is rather counter productive. It would prevent newbies from posting their issues, and some of them already have a short attention span as is...

Ralf