NO

Author Topic: Winhelp 4.0  (Read 9353 times)

czerny

Winhelp 4.0
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
I am searching for details of the 32-bit winhelp 4.0. Does anybody know in which old SDK this was documented?
There are a couple of differences to the old 16-bit winhelp.

I have for example found in a winhelp projectfile (*.hpj) the following statement:
Code: [Select]
Main="",(553,102,460,600),60672,(r15596254),(r15721690),f3The 4te and 5te parameter are colors. I know this written as
(255,0,0)for red. I don't know the above writting. Though it is not difficult to find its meaning:
r15596254 is 0xEDFADE is (222, 250, 237)But what is the meaning of the 'r' in front? Red? Are there variants with a 'g' or a 'b' also allowed?

What means the last parameter? I do know its meaning if it is 0 or 1, but 0xfe is unknown to me.

czerny

Re: Winhelp 4.0
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
If I could write the absolute hyper proggi that everyone must have, I would write it with a superb winhelp help and an executable that refuses to run on vista and above!  ;D

But the reality is: 0 replies and I have not written this super hyper proggi yet!

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
Dunno where to find specs.
You may recover something from HelpDeco ...
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
If I could write the absolute hyper proggi that everyone must have, I would write it with a superb winhelp help and an executable that refuses to run on vista and above!  ;D

But the reality is: 0 replies and I have not written this super hyper proggi yet!
The reality is that WinHelp is a format/technology that isn't supported anymore since Windows Vista (that almost 9 years now), never has been that great anyway, so that very few people could possibly bother these days to deal with it...

Ralf

Offline DMac

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »
I also don't know about specs.  However I have used Doxygen for years now to document code AND write my help files.

For the help files I create a separate project and add it to my workspace.  The Source file is just one big comment that Doxygen turns into the compiled HTML help (the same format that is used by Pelles C Help.)
No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
I also don't know about specs.  However I have used Doxygen for years now to document code AND write my help files.

For the help files I create a separate project and add it to my workspace.  The Source file is just one big comment that Doxygen turns into the compiled HTML help (the same format that is used by Pelles C Help.)
That is actually HTMLHelp, which goes back to Windows 98 and is now the default help format ever since Windows Vista... ;)

Ralf

czerny

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:14:07 PM »
The nice thing in winhelp was, that a programmer could expand it in each direction. I don't know if html is expandable in such a way. But all this knowledge seams to be lost.  >:(

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 10:18:01 PM »
The nice thing in winhelp was, that a programmer could expand it in each direction. I don't know if html is expandable in such a way. But all this knowledge seams to be lost.  >:(
What is more expandable than HTML?  ??? It was simply chosen as it allows for nicely formatted contents and easy linking, while the old WinHelp stuff had to deal with all the limitations of RTF, which it was based on...

Anyway, you might want to check out http://www.help-info.de/ , http://www.helpmaster.info/  or http://www.help-guide.de/.

I have never bothered beyond the initial WinHelp with Windows 9x, as everything since then was moving towards HTMLHelp, which is nowadays the standard (and actually has been for a long time). But you seem to like to be "the last man standing"...   ;D

Ralf

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »
Have a look here for htmlhelp api reference.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Grincheux

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »

matze

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 08:06:30 PM »
Download and search in win32.chm at http://laurencejackson.com/win32/

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 10:39:10 PM »

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 07:45:01 AM »