NO

Author Topic: Can't Paste Into Source File  (Read 11155 times)

Offline jj2007

Re: Can't Paste Into Source File
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 01:03:24 AM »
Are you working on any projects that use the clipboard (i.e. OpenClipboard() etc)?

stecoop

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
I haven't been, but today, I dug out my Petzold and have begun exploring the clipboard to see what might be going on.
So far, I know that forcibly emptying the clipboard does not solve the problem; I also see that when I copy to the clipboard, four (4) formats are added to the clipboard, however, I have not yet determined what those formats are (I'm just getting started on this clipboard vivisection). I'll have more information later.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
May the source be with you

stecoop

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »
Try Free Clipboard Viewer
Thanks, TimoVJL, but I think I'll learn more if I dissect the clipboard myself.

And the four (4) formats I found are: CF_TEXT, CF_OEMTEXT, CF_UNICODETEXT, & CF_LOCALE

Which gives me no clue as to why paste is not working :'(

I'm tempted to dig into the source code for the IDE, but that may be way beyond my skill level (I've always had trouble reading other peoples code).

Offline jj2007

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »
I've asked whether you are working with the clipboard because Pelles C might not be the culprit. The clipboard chain is an old and messy beast, even Microsoft acknowledges this:

An obvious problem with this design is it relies on each clipboard viewer application to behave correctly, not to terminate unexpectedly, and to generally be a good citizen.  If any viewer decided not to be friendly, it could simply skip notifying the next viewer in line about an update, rendering the next viewer and all subsequent viewers impotent.

So it could well be that some other application is running/was running, maybe in the background. They are even dedicated repair tools.

When your problem hits you again, try to remember which applications you used shortly before.

stecoop

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
I think I've found the culprit(s) - it's either WebRoot (my anti-virus software), or Windows Defender. I turned them off and I can paste again. At present, I can't seem to turn off one without turning off the other, but I suspect WebRoot is the cause - it has been overly aggressive in other situations and this just maybe another one of it's extremes. Hopefully there's a setting in WebRoot to make it leave Pelles C alone.

Offline jj2007

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »
There are indeed plenty of hits for a WebRoot clipboard search.

The solution is to go to Webroot Identity Protection settings and turn OFF Identity Shield.

Full thread is here. The WebRoot team firmly believes it's a good idea to turn the Windows clipboard off by default, and without warning the user. Wow! I thought Adobe was the dumbest software company on Earth...

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 01:25:13 AM »

The solution is to go to Webroot Identity Protection settings and turn OFF Identity Shield.

Full thread is here. The WebRoot team firmly believes it's a good idea to turn the Windows clipboard off by default, and without warning the user. Wow! I thought Adobe was the dumbest software company on Earth...
Well, while I have certain problems with Adobe as a company itself, I am pretty sure that there are a quite a few companies FAR ahead of them on top of that list...

Ralf

stecoop

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 02:08:13 AM »
I can't really fault WebRoot for their aggressiveness - they have been very effective at protecting my computer. And, let's face it, hackers and virus writers are getting more aggressive.

I found I could set up WebRoot to ignore Pelles C IDE and I'll see how well that works for me. I'm a little reluctant to turn off the identity shield, at least for now; I have some confidential business info on this machine I want to keep protected.

stecoop

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »

WOW! This problem has been around for a while.

How about putting this issue in the FAQ? It might save others some frustration.