NO

Author Topic: How do you update Pelles C Compiler?  (Read 4468 times)

Bilbosax

How do you update Pelles C Compiler?
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:17:36 AM »
I wrote a C program that accesses a MySQL database, processes the data, and then writes the processed data to a new table. I have it scheduled to run every night at 10pm. It has been working flawlessly for several months. Last night, my Windows 10 computer forced me to do an update before it powered down. Upon restarting today, my C program written in Pelles C no longer works. I get an error 255.

It has to be the Windows update because I have not touched the C program or the database in months. I figured that perhaps I need to update the compiler and rebuild the program, but I don't even know which compiler Pelles C uses, and the base program has not been updated in a year.

Can anyone help me to update my compiler to the latest version?

Thanks!

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: How do you update Pelles C Compiler?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:24:47 AM »
Hello,
PellesC is a compiler wrote by Orinius Pelle, it doesn't use any tool from 3rd parts. All PellesC (it should be intended Pelle's C) is an original work.
The last release can be downloaded from the PellesC section->announcements of this forum, that link you to the host domain for downloads.
Said that I don't think that the problem is the compiler or anything related to the code or the executable, if the problem comes after an OS update be sure that the reason, in the 99.9999999...% of the cases, is a safety upgrade that limited, or blocked, the executable.
Please refer to the upgrade docs on MS knowledge base, maybe your program must run under administrator level, or you have to add exceptions for this program to the firewall, or even the executable must be signed.
Unfortunately from the information you provided we can't deduce anything. What is the update kb code of the upgrade, which part of the program fails (you can recompile it with debug info, then open a debug session find the failing functions then call the GetLastError(), or the appropriate error function, to retrieve the detailed system error code and provide it) and the OS exact error code. All this with a minimal sample to try to reproduce the error.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:35:24 AM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Bilbosax

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »
Frankie, you were right.  It is a Microsoft security access issue.  If I run the program as I usually do, it stops and breaks.  If I right click on it and "run as administrator", it works as expected.  Do you happen to know if there is a way in Windows to turn off the need to be an administrator to run certain programs?  After all, it is only my computer, I am the only one with access ;)

Thanks for your insight.

Bill

Bilbosax

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 08:32:07 PM »
Never mind.  I figured it out using the Google Machine.  I turned off a security setting in the control panel, and now everything is working as it was.  What a PITA Microsoft!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
Very good!  :)
I'm happy you were able to manage the issue on yourself.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide