NO

Author Topic: Whats the difference between win32 app and consolewin32  (Read 4179 times)

post from old forum

Whats the difference between win32 app and consolewin32
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:08:14 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the win32 console apps are are what they are used for.
I am learning opengl and am usung glut for creating windows cause i don't really want to spend time learning win32 api right now. It would be useful if i could use windows gui stuff aswell as glut. I have to use win32 console apps for glut beacause it uses in main. Is it possible to access win32 stuff from win32 console apps?
Thanks heaps for any info.

OneMind

post from old forum

Whats the difference between win32 app and consolewin32
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »
A Win32 Console app is like any other Win32 program, except that it has a console window (DOS-window, text mode window, whatever you like to call it) attached to it. Windows will automatically create this window when needed.
A Console app usually writes to this window, and don't create any windows by itself. By convention, the linker will assume that the program will start in the function main(). The Pelles C compiler and linker are examples of console mode applications.

A Win32 (windows) app creates it's own windows. By convention, the linker will assume that the program will start in the function WinMain(). The Pelles C IDE is an example of a Win32 app.

That said, it's really not much difference between a console app, and a windows app. A console app can also create windows, and do anything a windows app can do.

Pelle