General > Chit-Chat

Recovering your Hard Drive from Disaster. What I now Know.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Bitbeisser:

--- Quote from: EdPellesC99 on August 14, 2011, 04:42:57 PM ---Tx Ralf,

I may look into Sandboxie....

I am now using Kaspersky, but in the beginning it was driving me nuts calling programs I wrote Trojan infected and deleting them !  I had to disable many features.

I may not convince anyone else to backup using Drive Images, but no one will convince me it is not worth doing !  :)
...  Ed

--- End quote ---
Well, if it is worth doing, it's a typical "YMMV" kind of thing...

I am working in (outsourced) IT services for small businesses and I got used to remove these kind of things on a regular bases. And using the sandbox is one of the simplest things that people can do from preventing malware to set foot on a system, it's just a matter of discipline.

I personally had NEVER a virus infecting any of my own systems ever, for the whole +20 years that computer viruses are spreading. Not counting the very first time I encountered the "fall leaf" virus back in '88, which a colleague planted on my PC at work, but that was more a prank and easily removed backed then...

Ralf

megafiddle:
Norton ghost works well also. I use the older version 2000-something.

My image file is less than 2 Gbytes, so it only takes a minute and a half to restore
XP, drivers, and other software. I don't even bother defragmenting. When things
get slow or questionable, I just restore the original installation. In addition to the
external drive, I keep a copy of the image on the D: partition just for that purpose.

The Acronis backup sounds similar to the newest version of Ghost. I like the old version
as it can create a "forensic" image file, an exact duplicate. I'll check the new version out
further when I build the new computer. It doesn't explicitly say the images are forensic,
so they may not be. It also runs from a stripped down version of windows. Older version
runs under DOS.

CommonTater:
I am no fan of Symantec products.  I've had so much bad experience with them that I remove them wherever I find them.

Trust me Megafiddle... you can do much better for a lot less money...

EdPellesC99:
Sandboxie.

Well I visited the site, and yikes it looks like it could add complexity to my life !

I don't need to be trying to constantly keep something functional !

Maybe a Super Concept,
... wish Microsoft would have it function within the OS.

I am beginning to think your development computer should not even have an internet connection, if you want assured, simple, perfect protection !

Now to ask a dumb question to get varied responses.

All my computer life I would hear references to a hardware firewall.
The only way I can see it is a separate computer for the Internet, and scanning All Files before placing them on your development computer.

What other kind of harware firewall would there be?

Tx, Ed

Bitbeisser:

--- Quote from: EdPellesC99 on August 26, 2011, 05:30:25 PM ---Sandboxie.

Well I visited the site, and yikes it looks like it could add complexity to my life !

I don't need to be trying to constantly keep something functional !
--- End quote ---
There is absolutely nothing complex about it!
I have set this up for both 12 year old kids and senior citizens in their 70s and it just works...

--- Quote ---All my computer life I would hear references to a hardware firewall.
The only way I can see it is a separate computer for the Internet, and scanning All Files before placing them on your development computer.

What other kind of harware firewall would there be?
--- End quote ---
Well, you can get some pricey stuff from Cisco, Juniper, etc or go with a Linux based on like Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org). I am using that one for pretty much the whole 11 years that this is available now, having installed probably a few hundred boxes by now. And I am one of the regulars/forum admins doing most of the support on their forum (community.smoothwall.org). There are some other, partially forked ones out there, like IPFire (IPCop is dead by now), MoNoWall, Untangle and a few others....
It prevents unsolicited access from the Internet and as it is based on a restricted kernel and shell, not prone to be bypassed like all those software firewalls that run themself on top of a exploitable OS. You can restrict outgoing connections and there are several add-ons to both restrict access to URLs as well as scan for contents and/or malware utilizing ClamAV. And you can even install spam filtering addons rivaling commercial software if you run your own email server behind it. In all, IMHO far more flexible and adjustable than those commercial blackboxes from "the big guys"...

Ralf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version