Assembly language > Assembly discussions

SIZEOF and DUP

<< < (2/3) > >>

Vortex:
Hi Greenhorn,

Removing the brackets seems to solve the problem. Could you try the code portion below?

--- Code: ---IMAGE_AUX_SYMBOL_EX union
struct File
Name_ BYTE sizeof IMAGE_SYMBOL_EX dup (?)
ends
IMAGE_AUX_SYMBOL_EX ends
--- End code ---

Greenhorn:
Hi Vortex,

yes, that solves the problem although if I don't understand why.
If I look into the documentation the brackets have the highest priority and should just evaluate the expression in it.

It's not a big thing but it would be nice if poasm wouldn't throw an error on this. I often use brackets for better reading, even if it's not always nessecary.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards
Greenhorn

Pelle:
There seem to be a rather big difference between the documented and the actually supported syntax in MASM.
I have used the documented syntax. I can't find any documentation of parenthesis in sizeof.

Bitbeisser:

--- Quote from: Pelle on June 17, 2012, 01:13:52 PM ---There seem to be a rather big difference between the documented and the actually supported syntax in MASM.
I have used the documented syntax. I can't find any documentation of parenthesis in sizeof.

--- End quote ---
I am using MASM since '82 (actually earlier on  Z80/8080) and I can't remember that this ever was a supported syntax, so I doubt that there is any documentation about using parenthesis...

Ralf

Greenhorn:

--- Quote from: Bitbeisser on June 17, 2012, 07:13:00 PM ---I am using MASM since '82 (actually earlier on  Z80/8080) and I can't remember that this ever was a supported syntax, so I doubt that there is any documentation about using parenthesis...
--- End quote ---

I'm still a Greenhorn in coding, especially in assembler. But I just can say that MASM does accept parenthesis in most cases.

However, thanks for paying attention.

Greenhorn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version