General > Chit-Chat

Antivirus Pain for the Developer and for his User (Yes a Rant)

<< < (2/4) > >>

CommonTater:
You might like to give this a try...  It's not a real time scanner, it runs when you tell it to run...

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

Whitelisting is easy... when it reports a program just click "Add to Whitelist" and it'll leave it alone.

Also ... something to consider if your stuff is going into any kind of distribution... if it's triggering AV, you're not going to get much of a user base... So it's actually good to have it happen before it leaves the fold...

Stefan Pendl:
Microsoft Security Essentials is free and offers to easily exclude folders, extensions and processes.

I always follow the policy to have only one AV tool, I see no advantage in installing a anti-Spam, anti-virus and anti-spy-ware program of different brands to protect my system.
Doing so has always lead to worse than using one brand for all.

I don't like to have hundreds of options to turn on or off, the thing must do the job.
Windows offers its own firewall, a monthly malicious software tool and an AV, all for free, what else do you need?

Bitbeisser:

--- Quote from: Stefan Pendl on August 16, 2011, 11:29:23 PM ---Microsoft Security Essentials is free and offers to easily exclude folders, extensions and processes.

I always follow the policy to have only one AV tool, I see no advantage in installing a anti-Spam, anti-virus and anti-spy-ware program of different brands to protect my system.
Doing so has always lead to worse than using one brand for all.

I don't like to have hundreds of options to turn on or off, the thing must do the job.
Windows offers its own firewall, a monthly malicious software tool and an AV, all for free, what else do you need?

--- End quote ---
Something that works? ???

MSE does in IMPE not work that well, and is rather giving a wrong impression of security. Likewise relying on Windows firewall alone will get you in the hot seat pretty quick in most cases.
You should have a proper perimeter firewall in front of your internal LAN, if something can reach your system, any software firewall on the host machines turn very quickly into a "wet towel", they all can be bypassed.
And it is certainly right that someone should not overdo it with having multiple programs performing the same task. That can rather be counter-productive.

But then there is no "silver bullet", a "one size fits all" these days anymore. Working with these kinds of threats on a professional basis, I know that each program has it's strength and it's weaknesses. Out of experience, I recommend private users always a combination of either AVast! or AVG as primary, active antivirus program as well as installing both MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Spybot Search&Destroy as interactive scanning tools. The later two have different ways to work and one will usually find at least traces of stuff the other one misses. A matter of updates cycles as well...

Ralf

Stefan Pendl:

--- Quote from: Bitbeisser on August 17, 2011, 07:15:04 PM ---MSE does in IMPE not work that well, and is rather giving a wrong impression of security.
--- End quote ---
Sure I could install Norton, but then I have to work against the public competition of hackers to break it ;)

A hardware firewall would be nice, but it is not really practical, if you connect to the net as a one man show using an USB stick of a mobile phone company :(

I will see how things work out, till the next escalation, I will just do my daily backups of my data.

Bitbeisser:

--- Quote from: Stefan Pendl on August 17, 2011, 07:41:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bitbeisser on August 17, 2011, 07:15:04 PM ---MSE does in IMPE not work that well, and is rather giving a wrong impression of security.
--- End quote ---
Sure I could install Norton,
--- End quote ---
"Vom Regen in die Traufe..."...  ;)

I would stay away from Norton as well as McAfee, they don't do **** either. I mentioned a few products that work far better for far less money...

Ralf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version