C language > Graphics programming

GDI+ WebP support

<< < (3/3)

frankie:

--- Quote from: MrBcx on March 01, 2023, 03:51:49 PM ---If Google generates a web page that contains gifs and jpegs, your computer uses energy to decompress and display those images.  Using a container like webp which requires more computing cycles will exacerbate energy usage on Google server (encode) and your PC (decode).  But that increase in energy usage MIGHT be offset on both ends by the reduction in data that would need to be sent between Google's server and your computer when using a container like webp. 

Determining whether the net energy usage is reduced, increased, or balanced is an exercise that I shall leave to the bean counters.

--- End quote ---
Well the encoding, as I already said, is done once, then the encoded image is saved on the disk (storage reduction on servers). We can therefore completely neglect the energy to encode the image. Less energy is consumed by disk due to reduced dimensions, even more benefits will apply to backups in terms of energy, storage and work-time (less breakdowns, less repairs, less labor, reduced maintenance costs).
A huge quantity of energy is spared for data transmission along the whole internet with its servers, gateways, repeaters, medium translators, hubs, etc.
On the other hand trillions of computers will stress their CPU to decode the file.
Hard to make a balance, Google will get a lot of benefits per sure, what the repercussions on the world energy balance will be is to be analyzed.

almost for laughs: We take care to use low energy lamps and last generation low consumption home appliances, but don't regret to use 1kW power supplies to power last generation graphic-cards...  ;D

MrBcx:
I agree with all of that Frankie. 

On a side note, one emerging technology to keep an eye on is sodium-ion battery development.
The abundance of sodium and significantly lower production costs could be revolutionary.

frankie:

--- Quote from: MrBcx on March 03, 2023, 02:49:24 PM ---On a side note, one emerging technology to keep an eye on is sodium-ion battery development.
The abundance of sodium and significantly lower production costs could be revolutionary.

--- End quote ---
That would be wonderful!  :D
Most geopolitical tensions related to soil richness would be defeated...  8)
I big pounch to lords of lithium (LOL  ;D )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version