NO

Author Topic: New Pelles user  (Read 3517 times)

bobw

New Pelles user
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
Hi,

I have just spent more than an hour with Pelles C trying to understand how to compile and run the first example from Petzold 5th edition, with no success.

I compiled, linked and ran it in DevC++ in under a minute.

Pelles C looks very nice, and I'm sure it's very sophisticated, but for someone like me who has never used a command line interface it is very, very unfriendly.

Since there is no tutorial available, should I just abandon Pelles C?

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
Re: New Pelles user
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:24:55 AM »
Why use the command line interface, when you can use the IDE, which offers all you need inside an easy to use GUI window ???
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

bobw

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »
Thanks for replying.

I'm not using the command line, I am using the GUI, and very pretty it is too!

However, it seems I still need some kind of command line knowledge. For example, in the Project Options dialog, there are text fields for "Library and Object Files", and for "Command Line Options (LINKFLAGS)". This stuff is all new to me.

But I am making some kind of progress. I've managed to get Petzold Chapter 3 to run, by adding winmm.lib to the end of a list, so I can't the as stupid as I thought...

bobw

jwzumwalt

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:48:28 AM »
I have been working on Pelles C examples for a few weeks. There are still a few with known bugs, but 95% work without problems. I reorganized the order and need to adjust the listing numbers - thats about it. I had intended on contacting this group in a week or two and planned to make a donation... Anyway, here they are; still slightly incomplete.

http://www.c.neatinfo.com/public/7-books-tutor-referance/2-tutors/c-tutor/terminal-examples

enjoy - JZ

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
Hi bobw,

Welcome to the forum.

Using the command-line interface is easy. First, run Povars32.bat to initialize the environment variables for Pelles C. After, create a simple batch file like the following :
Code: [Select]
pocc /Ot /Ze Window.c
polink /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS Window.obj kernel32.lib user32.lib
Code it... That's all...

auerdoan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:32:23 AM »
I  too just installed this and had some issues

it seems the program fluency isnt like what im use to.

my mistake was i was saving my code to a folder i cre8ed in my own personal location

i than tried it again by saving it in the c\programs\pelles\bin location and the console at least working (good for seeing if my code even works)

than later i may do and exe

i hope this helps you out

like think it would be nice to see something on this in the help hint hint

auerdoan