NO

Author Topic: Computer crash...  (Read 3134 times)

kobold

Computer crash...
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:11:48 PM »
My computer crashed today while a project was opened.
Yeah... the project was almost finished...
After a reboot i opened the project file and i got a *.c file full of nulls.
I know, somewhere in this forum is the solution but i cannot find the post and i cannot find the backup (if there is one).
Please where is the backup file is stored?

Until i got an answer i will write 100 times: "Do not change a running system!"
 :cry:

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Computer crash...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:16:53 PM »
Kobold,
I think is this:
http://smorgasbordet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=966
But had you enabled the backup option?
Good luck
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

kobold

Computer crash...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:25:07 PM »
The option is on, and normaly it works too.
Note: Because i started this program in LccWin32 first, i have had a copy. Not the newest version, but better than nothing.

Suggestion: If i save a project, the IDE could make a copy of the old '.c' file and rename it to '.bak'. Then save the changes in the '.c' file.
Would be easier and saver than Pelles method. I think turbo pascal 7 and/or free pascal made it that way.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Computer crash...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:16:34 AM »
I think the problem is due to the way Pelle handles open files (memory mapped files?).
But this seems really a problem. While I haven't experienced it 'till now, I hope something will be done in the next version of the IDE, because this seems to be one of the few remaining wickness of this excellent compiling system.
For now we have to insist on making a manual backup on the end of each coding session.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

kobold

Computer crash...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 10:42:49 PM »
Memory mapped files are a guarantee for corruption >.<
(I usually make backups, at least for bigger projects. But not in this case.)

But because i found an older version of my program on my drive i was able to finish my small project now. I will post my tool in this forum.