NO

Author Topic: Not enougth people for exchange  (Read 7878 times)

Offline 1e9t8m29

Re: Not enougth people for exchange
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 07:39:51 PM »
I agreed with the OP. There is no one there. People occasionally visit and sometimes post something but generally speaking there is no longer any new activities.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 11:34:29 PM »
Well, out of my perspective, of someone who is just visiting a couple of times a year, I just use Pelle's C for a lot of little "odds and ends", not for any major (Windows) GUI projects.

I have a handful of slightly larger, Open Source projects I am working on, on and off, which I would announce in here, just because...  ;)

One is a 32bit/64bit Windows version of the (very) old LIB archiving tool, back from the CP/M days. I find myself every now and then searching through some old retro archives and there simply is no tool on a current Windows that can read/extract those files. Similar with old .ARC archives, a lot of current archivers seemed to have dropped those as well.

And another project I have on the very slow burner is a new version/fork of OpenComal, a programming language that was kind of popular in the early '80s for a while, for various computer systems. While my main focus here is a 16bit version to run on FreeDOS, I am also thinking of making a version for current Windows.

And then I might consider making a Windows version of a BASIC interpreter I have been working on for quite a while, but that is kind of paused until I find more consecutive time to work on it again, which is a binary compatible clone of GW-BASIC, but that old MBF float format is a bitch for me to work on... :(

By and large, the truth is simply that C isn't very popular in the first place any more, unless it is for some low level stuff, for which Pelle's C just doesn't lend itself very easily.
Another missed opportunity (for creating a lot of work :) ) would be to if Pelle could decide to take the ARM version of the compiler, which existed for Windows CE in the past and create at least a command line compiler for the Raspberry Pi series of computers. Using GCC is really a b!t*h a lot of times...

Ralf

Offline MrBcx

• Global Moderator
    • Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 05:47:04 AM »

By and large, the truth is simply that C isn't very popular in the first place any more ...

Please share your sources that validate that purported "truth".

This company has consistently ranked "C" in the top 2 for the past two decades.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
https://www.BcxBasicCoders.com

Offline CandCPlusPlus

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2022, 06:18:46 AM »
I am a little confused by the earlier post. C is still one of the most used programming languages out there. There are good number of active win32 windows GUI apps written in C all over github for example and I've seen some on sourceforge as well. Both C and C++ are still quite popular and C definitely occupies a certain niche.

I do see people discuss that one programming language or another is going extinct when it's actually rare for a programming language to disappear once it enters mainstream usage and that's partially due to all the code previously written in a particular language. C has been mainstream since the 1970s and C++ since the 1980s. For example, I do still see apps written in Visual Basic 6 and that's despite the fact Microsoft ended support for it in 2008. COBOL is apparently quite commonplace in businesses as well.

I can also see new uses for C in the years and decades to come. CPU manufacturers are hitting the limits of physics with CPU performance. You may start to see yet more programmers using C and C++ in the years ahead while trying to eke out more performance from their software with relatively static CPU performance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 06:27:21 AM by CandCPlusPlus »

Offline John Z

Re: Not enough people for exchange
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
By and large, the truth is simply that C isn't very popular in the first place any more ...

LIke MrBcx your source would be nice to see.  Perhaps it is the use of the word 'popular' instead of something more objective?

Here is a Link to an IEEE 2022 article   "Top Programming languages 2022"  -

https://spectrum.ieee.org/top-programming-languages-2022

Quote from: IEEE Article by Stephen Cass
"Python remains on top but is closely followed by C. Indeed, the combined popularity of C and the big C-like languages—C++ and C#—would outrank Python by some margin.
The IEEE has done this mulitmetric survey for a number of years.

John Z

Full disclosure: Yes I am a member of the IEEE

Update - I'm also a member of SourceForge and have a number of projects there all using Pelles C.  Attached below is a snapshot of the SourceForge programming languages used for Windows projects on SourceForge.  C and its two children easily take the top spot for Windows.  It is also the top for Linux programming.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 12:08:32 PM by John Z »

Offline rapte

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2023, 08:55:28 AM »
Don't know if I should be posting this here.

But here is a YouTube link for https://youtu.be/lLv1s7rKeCM Programming in Modern C with a sneak peak into C23.

Pelles C is modern and light weight and we love using it!  :)

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2023, 10:26:11 AM »
Don't know if I should be posting this here.

But here is a YouTube link for https://youtu.be/lLv1s7rKeCM Programming in Modern C with a sneak peak into C23.

Pelles C is modern and light weight and we love using it!  :)
Interesting!  :)
C23, as also Pelle said, will be a mutant C++, regressive to C. A bloated language with even more obfuscation than actual standards allows.
I attached the sample proposed in the youtube link twicked to be compiled with PellesC /std=C2X switch.

EDIT: Removed the stdbool.h not required by C2X.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 07:31:22 PM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2023, 02:17:28 AM »
C23 implications for C libraries

Jens Gustedt

2023-06-24

https://gustedt.gitlabpages.inria.fr/c23-library/