NO

Author Topic: Win32 PropertyGrid Ver 2.2  (Read 2899 times)

Offline DMac

Win32 PropertyGrid Ver 2.2
« on: May 05, 2021, 02:34:14 AM »
UPDATE: 5-11-21
Just posted a bug fix correcting undesirable behavior related to editor behavior during mouse wheel event.

Hello friends and colleagues,

I recently revisited the Property Grid project and added a checked combobox editor.  This necessitated a major overhaul of the combobox related code.  I then strove to improve tabbing and keyboard related functionality in the combobox controls.  I made the editable combobox a self searcher.  Added a bug fix and cleaned up a lot of unnecessary comments.

Some of these improvements were long overdue.

It can be found with accompanying article (a usage referance) at the code project.

Win32 SDK PropertyGrid Made Easy

Regards,
DMac
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:21:45 PM by DMac »
No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

Grincheux

Re: Win32 PropertyGrid Ver 2.2
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:01:18 AM »
I read the post at CodeProject it is very impressive.
Great work.
I did not know how that kind of controls were made.
With all the details you give it is like I returned to school.
When you began in 2010 it was a 32 bits controls,
I imagine that the update in 64 bits also needed a lot of work.
There are many kinds of fields (IP, Dates & Time...) but nothing for the images.
If I have save all the article in a pdf that can be useful.
Thanks.

Offline John Z

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »
It can be found with accompanying article (a usage referance) at the code project.
Regards,
DMac

Looks like a big job.  All marked C++ too.  Read through the web page as I don't have my own Code Project login - interesting.  BTW -  notice that at the end the "History" shows last update as April 30 2010? 

I like your "Win32 SDK Data Grid View Made Easy" and was considering using that in place of a ListView Table in a project.  Went with ListView for now but still might switch as ListView gets really sluggish with a big table.

John Z

Offline DMac

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 12:57:04 AM »
Regards,
DMac

Looks like a big job.  All marked C++ too.  Read through the web page as I don't have my own Code Project login - interesting.  BTW -  notice that at the end the "History" shows last update as April 30 2010? 

I like your "Win32 SDK Data Grid View Made Easy" and was considering using that in place of a ListView Table in a project.  Went with ListView for now but still might switch as ListView gets really sluggish with a big table.

John Z
Hi John, April 30 2010 was when I posted the initial source code,  this update ver 2.2 I posted last night and that is reflected at the bottom of the history list.  As I recall the project started small but rapidly grew with new features.  I hadn't touched this code in several years when I found time to add the checked combobox feature a couple of weeks ago.  Took me a while to get my head around it again!

For big tables might I suggest Simple Grid
I did not know how that kind of controls were made.
With all the details you give it is like I returned to school.
I imagine that the update in 64 bits also needed a lot of work.
[/url]
You know Grincheux, I never formally studied any of this stuff.  My first exposure to writing controls was reading over David Hillard's Baby Grid source code.  I studied a lot of examples while putting this together.  Never satisfied, always improving, standing on the shoulders of giants.  ;)

As far as 64 bit goes I remember getting some hints from Timo.  There's a lot of wisdom on this forum.
No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

Offline MrBcx

• Global Moderator
    • Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:29:50 AM »
Hi David,

Great job on 2.2. 

Your code and explanations are always first rate - useful and scholarly.

Many thanks!
Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
https://www.BcxBasicCoders.com

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:24:43 AM »
Really nice job David.  ;)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline John Z

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:33:16 AM »
Hi John, April 30 2010 was when I posted the initial source code.... at the bottom.
For big tables might I suggest Simple Grid

Sorry about that misread!  Brain stuck on how I do it.

Thanks for the tips and code.
John Z

Offline algernon_77

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 11:57:56 AM »
Fine work! The source code is a joy to read, thanks!