NO

Author Topic: vCardz_i an address book/contact list program  (Read 10395 times)

Offline John Z

vCardz_i an address book/contact list program
« on: August 01, 2021, 04:25:26 PM »
Here is a feature packed VCF contact/address book like program written using Pelles C.  In addition to using Pelles C it uses fGdiPlusFlat.h header created by Frankie for GDIPlus under C.

The program itself is under a Meg but the full package is too big to add as an attachment here (Maybe Pelles Web needs to increase the 1MB limit  to 2-3MB?) so it can be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcardz/ or direct download at https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcardz/files/latest/download unzip and run nothing installed, no registry entries. Can even be run from a USB drive.

Over 9000 10,005 12,535 15730 17388 downloads across 145 147 151 158 164 countries but not very much feedback. I know the esteemed Pelles C followers are not shy about feedback. ;)  Missing features, errors, etc. all welcome, just don't beat me up about my linguine code style ;(

Some features I'm proud of creating: 
Ability to pin a filename and directory name to each MRU list so that they are always available even if the list is cleared or adds exceed entries causing rollover. Wouldn't mind if Pelle added this to the IDE. Very handy.
ODF spreadsheet export in two layouts. ODS can be opened by LibreOffice and EXCEL 2007 and newer.
Resizing the window, it does not use the Pelles Resizer lib but I think works fairly well.  Try it with Auto Font turned on too, even full screen.
Huge help file, including context sensitive help.  Help file is bigger than the exe :)

Hope it is useful,

John Z

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 02:02:36 PM by John Z »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: vCardz_i an address book/contact list program
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 05:20:55 PM »
nice  :)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Grincheux

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 05:07:37 PM »
Hi John,

There is a bad drawing in the note box as soon as you use the bak key to correct a word.
I can't enter my e-mail.

I often use the TAB key to navigate from one field to an other, here I don't know where I am.
If you put the cursor an a edit field, it is not selected.

The newer vcard specification only references three address types Home, Work and Other so every address selection may not show data.
Ok but if you fill a home address and after select an other kind of address then go back the home address, one part is lost. Right part.

See the picture attached you will have an idea.

Offline John Z

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 10:20:46 PM »
Thanks Sir Grincheux,

I'll check out using the backspace key, I don't recall ever trying that......  When the text looks like the picture shows, moving the scroll bar will redraw, but I know that is not optimum.

I do see in your screen shot you are not in the EDIT mode so no changes would be saved they would only be temporary. Therefore as one selected another address type the old data would be restored when selecting the address again.  To actually edit or change card data the program must be in the edit mode.   

Tabbing - yes, I was depending on the cursor for one to see where they are and the tabs follow the logical flow of data entry.  I'll consider an option to 'select' after a tab to a field, that might satisfy both preferences users might have.  Or I might make a very visible cursor  ;D

Thanks for your inputs!

John Z

Update - yup Backspace key definitely suboptimum in View mode, and if no scroll bars are present no way to redraw either. 
I'll also need to check backspace when in the EDIT mode too.  (yee in edit mode too)

Update #2 - Very strange.  It is just a standard edit box, like all the others, but with multiline enabled.  When multiline disabled the backspace key works as expected as does the edit box 'redraw'/update.  When multiline is enabled the backspace key action and 'redraw'/update goes haywire.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 01:00:09 PM by John Z »

Grincheux

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 01:10:29 PM »
I qill test again and send you my feedback.

Offline John Z

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 02:45:14 PM »
I qill test again and send you my feedback.

Not yet I have not come up with a solution yet !   :(

John Z

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
I do see in your screen shot you are not in the EDIT mode so no changes would be saved they would only be temporary.

to better distinguish between edit and view mode, disable the controls or make them read-only.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

Offline John Z

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 05:33:07 PM »
to better distinguish between edit and view mode, disable the controls or make them read-only.

Thanks Stefan- I did think about that when 'designing' but felt being able to make temporary edits for printing would be nice. Also I was thinking it would make it easier to copy a field to paste into something else.  I'll ponder it some more  and see if I can modify and satisfy both thoughts perhaps read-only but switchable by some keyboard trickery.  Attached is an example screen shot that is in the Edit Mode.  I'll admit scope creep had a role in this.  The original thought was to display but not edit, then .....

Thanks for the input.

John Z

Offline John Z

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 01:38:34 PM »
There is a bad drawing in the note box as soon as you use the bak key to correct a word.

Well finally figured out the Backspace issue.  Now to see about TAB and possibly Read-Only mode.
No new version until I finish with these two items - so don't download yet  :)

The risk with select all when using TAB is that it becomes very easy to accidentally delete. Of course if I make the initial screen read-only that would be solved too.   Still thinking about an approach.

John Z

Offline John Z

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 05:38:27 PM »
Here is a version to test  :).  It is not the full install because just the help file is bigger than this site allows to be uploaded. I'll update sourceforge after a bit more testing.  This exe can just replace the one, or rename it, and put in the same directory as the prior release.  Then you can try it.

Changes in 2.1.4.0:
Added Toolbar button as indicator of default Read Only mode
 clicking it explains how to enter Edit mode
Added TAB autoselect of a fields text, if there is any, when tabbing used.
  When TAB used in Read Only mode only the 1st character is selected
  When TAB used in Edit mode all text in the field is selected

Fixed display bug when using backspace or delete key in the multiline
 'Extras' box.

I think this addresses most concerns and won't impact prior users when they, if they, get the new version.

John Z

Update 9/1/2021 New release live now on sourceforge.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:51:51 PM by John Z »

Grincheux

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 07:57:26 PM »
Sorry John I had no time to test your program.  :-[

Offline John Z

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
Hey - no problem.  I see you have been knee deep in CFE!  A lot of work there.  Anything as big as CFE is going to take a lot of time just for testing not even considering time to develop improvements.

Forum has been quiet since Pelle went on vacation .....;)

John Z

Grincheux

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »
Yes, I saw. Yestirday I had 5 messages that I had not read, only!
I had a lot of work with my job and was very tired.
When I am retired, I drop the phone and stop the car for a long time.

Offline John Z

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 04:06:57 PM »
Thanks Sir Grincheux!

Inspired me to make some cosmetic improvements to the vCardz_i program.
A new version is posted on SourceForge - https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcardz/ 
and implements some of your improvement suggestions, but not all  :) :( 

Current version 2.1.5 lifetime statistics: 10,185 downloads across 147 countries.

Cheers,
John

Offline John Z

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 03:32:00 PM »
In case any forum member are using vCardz_i - A new version is posted on SourceForge - https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcardz/  which was updated using Pelles C version 11.  Version 2.5.3.2 has many improvements over 2.1.5 mentioned above. 

Feedback always welcome.

John Z