NO

Author Topic: Virus/trojan warnings on installation  (Read 4889 times)

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Re: Virus/trojan warnings on installation
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »
If you try wget program for downloading, what Avast do then ?

If you ping www.smorgasbordet.com, is result like this ?
Pinging www.smorgasbordet.com [205.178.145.94]
May the source be with you

Offline John Z

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »
The thing is that I never get to the part to be able to install Pelles C, Avast never gives me a chance to touch the file after download is complete, not on any of the two computers I have tested to download it to.
If I ever get to know what the problem is I will let you guys know.

Quote from: Bigstone
Where do they come from since it been stated they are not original files in Pelles C in the first place?

It sounds like your browser has been subjugated by malware, perhaps add-ins.  You are getting alerts on files that are not even part of Pelles C.  I suggest, to help troubleshoot, get one of your friends to download the Pelles C installer program onto a USB drive.  Then try to install on your computer and see if the same virus alerts appear.  This way you eliminate the browser interaction with the download on your machine(s).  Not uncommon to have two machines compromised especially if same network and access.

Respectfully I disagree in part with Stefan.  I do agree every 'antivirus' program will miss somethings and will falsely identify others. I agree Windows Defender has improved considerably as has their malware removal tool.  However there is still a place for third party antivirus programs.  I use GData out of Germany.  Very responsive company.  When it falsely flags a Pelles C program I wrote myself I send it to them they analyze it and fix their scanner.

John Z

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2021, 04:43:12 PM »
after wget in excluded folder
Code: [Select]
wget.exe http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/1100/setup.exehttps://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/errirtfeuw

AWG Antivirus free
Code: [Select]
Win32:MdeClass
poinst.exe and uninst.exe are problem for Avast and AWG
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 04:54:58 PM by TimoVJL »
May the source be with you