NO

Author Topic: "Project build ended in complete failure" without any other information on error  (Read 1298 times)

Offline paravantis

I have been trying to learn C with Pelles C, and have come against a seemingly inexplicable behavior.

Trying to compile any short program with an error gives me the following information in the output window:

Code: [Select]
Project build started
Project build ended in complete failure

That's it -- nothing else. No line number, no error type.

In project options I have set debug information to full, warnings to level 2, diagnostics to classic, and C standard to C17.

I feel really stupid -- what obvious thing am I overlooking?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:50:11 PM by paravantis »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Hello Paravantis,
please pack the project (from menu Project ->Zip files...) and post it here so we can check.
Maybe you want try wizards (Select new project from menu FILE). The first line of the dialog shows wizard for any type of project (exe, dll, static lib), choose the one you want and follow the wizard. It will create for you a basic skeleton code.
Then you can change it to your necessity.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:23:59 PM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline paravantis

I have not been starting any project. I just play around with short source files, which I try to compile. Here is an example:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{
char myName[]="John";

// This line will generate an error
char testing="123456";

printf("\n%s\n",myName);

return 0;
}

When there are no errors in the code, the code runs and the results are displayed in the console window just fine.

When there are errors, I just get the message

Project build started
Project build ended in complete failure

in the output section of the IDE, without any other information on the type of the error or the line number.

Offline paravantis

Here is the previous erroneous code as part of a small Windows 64 console program (EXE) project, packed as requested.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:43:31 PM by paravantis »

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
Hi John,

Assuming that testing is a string :

char testing="123456";
should be replaced by

char testing[]="123456";
If testing is an integer :

int testing=123456;
Code it... That's all...

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
John your problem is a useless addin named "Show IDE events", that due to the behavior of PellesC installer, that automatically enables all addins on first installation, shows useless messages masking compiler error messages.
First of all I have to clarify, once again, that I don't like this behavior, that is de facto a big security hole, that on first installation can potentially run malicious code eventually present in the addin folder.
Now to solve the problem from menu choose Tools->Customize ...
Then a dialog appears, choose the tab Add-ins
Search for an addin named Show IDE events
Uncheck it and press OK
Now the IDE should work correctly.
Let me know if you're OK or still in trouble.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:05:29 AM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline paravantis

Excellent dear @frankie, you nailed it. Disabling the said addin unlocked full error messages again. I am hoping the developers are reading this for the next distribution.

Thank you for your input dear @Vortex, I did know about the error. I produced it on purpose to test the weird behavior of the IDE.

Indebted to both of you, will happily continue enjoying Pelles C.