NO

Author Topic: QkAccess - a File Explorer shell extension  (Read 638 times)

Offline Marco

QkAccess - a File Explorer shell extension
« on: March 14, 2023, 05:16:24 PM »
Hello! A few days ago I updated a personal project that I use on a daily basis. First of all, I apologize for the lack of the source code, but this project relies heavily on several personal libraries that I also use for productive applications. The original idea was to be able to navigate from any folder to any folder in File Explorer via the context menu. A sort of folder favorites. Folder navigation also works in the 'Open' and 'Save As' common dialog boxes. Anyway, over the years, I have added other features. There is no a GUI to configure it (at the moment). Everything is managed via a single script INI file (QkAccess.ini), that you can edit with any text editor. The syntax of the custom menu items is quite simple. Please, take a look at the 'ReadMe.pdf' file. The ZIP archive includes a sample INI file. The shell extension is written in plain C and it was compiled with the latest build of Pelles C. I thought I would share this little project with you. Maybe some of you will find it useful.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:08:23 AM by Marco »

Offline John Z

Re: QkAccess - a File Explorer shell extension
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 11:02:08 AM »
Hi Marco,

Sounds interesting.   How about attaching a few  screen shots showing
how it works and what it actually displays?  Could help promote it.

John Z

Offline Marco

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 04:01:27 PM »
Hi John, I did not want to create a too long post, so I have summarized very briefly the features of the shell extension. For example, by right-clicking on a folder background in File Explorer (or in an 'Open' or 'Save as' common dialog box) you can quick navigate to a favorite folder in the current open window of File Explorer. The shell extension enables you to add menu items, menu separators, submenus, and nested submenus to the context menu of File Explorer, so it is up to you to "design" your menu.

Anyway, you're right, a picture is worth a thousand words, so you can find attached two pictures showing just an example of what you can do. I also attached two pictures of two pages of the PDF file.

Here is the script to create the menu displayed in the pictures. It's the sample script included in the ZIP archive.
Code: [Select]
$POPUP $SHELL|44, QkAccess Menu
{
    $ICON_FOLDER,       Open C:\Windows,   $GOTO, %windir%
    $ICON_DRIVEFIXED,   Local Disk (C:),   $GOTO, c:\
    -------------------------
    $POPUP SIID_SOFTWARE, Applications
    {
        $APPICON,    Run Notepad,    %windir%\system32\notepad.exe
        $APPICON,    Open WIN.INI,   %windir%\system32\notepad.exe, %windir%\win.ini
        $APPICON,    Run MS Paint,   %windir%\system32\mspaint.exe
    }   
    $ICON_FOLDER,   New Temporary Folder,        $NEWFOLDER, %qka_TempName%
    $APPICON,       Open CMD Here,               $CMDHERE
    $APPICON,       Open CMD Here (elevated),    !$CMDHERE
    $SHELL|1,       Modify Menu,                 %windir%\system32\notepad.exe, %qka_Path%\QkAccess.ini
}

Offline John Z

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 07:00:19 PM »
Hi Marco,

I had downloaded the 7z and read the pdf - well written, but even so I was not clear on what to expect.
The example screen shots are great - very clear on what you have accomplished and are providing.

Thanks!

John Z

Offline Marco

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 11:14:05 AM »
Hi John,

Thank you! I have just updated the description of the '$GOTO' statement in the 'ReadMe.pdf' file to make it clear that the '$GOTO' statement also works in the 'Open' and 'Save As' common dialog boxes. This is very useful if, like me, you have several specific folders for specific files (for example, a folder for documents, a folder for projects, and so on): when you open or save a file in an application, you can immediately navigate to the folder you want without having to manually click in the folder tree structure to reach the required folder.