NO

Author Topic: Debugger no longer working  (Read 553 times)

Offline Kobold

Debugger no longer working
« on: August 11, 2023, 04:20:10 PM »
The debugger is no longer working on my main project. It waits at WinMain(), doesn't accept any input and dies when a key or button is pressed. Task Manager needs to kill poide.exe.

I can't post the project to the public. However, I'm really willing to help with finding bugs.

So, normally the debugger stops at WinMain() and waits for user input. What could cause it to get stuck? Waiting for a lock? Caught in an endless loop? Problem with importing functions from a DLL? Too many files (currently 126 .obj files)?

The UI doesn't finish updating, so there could be a communication issue between the IDE and the debugger. Usually, a new tab opens in the editor and a new menu in the bottom right corner of the workspace. This does not happen here, at least those widgets are not visible yet, the IDE seems to crash before or while creating them. I attached a screenshot.

@Pelle, if there is anything I can test or log for you, let me know.

Offline John Z

Re: Debugger no longer working
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 04:35:32 PM »
Difficult without an example to test ....however -

If the computer is not locked you  might try pulling up a process manager poviewp.exe or one of the many others, or the windows resource manager C:\Windows\System32\resmon.exe and see if something is growing, or if there is no activity at all from the debugger, poide, or your program.

You might also check the system event logs possibly something useful there.

John Z

"no longer working" implies that it worked before.  So if you roll back code changes made since that last working debug, does
it then work again?  That could point to something in your latest code updates and might at least minimize the investigation space.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 04:44:14 PM by John Z »