C language > Windows questions

Win10: Exe Slow Startup after fresh compile

(1/2) > >>

tony74:
I've been a win7 user for ages. Recently just got a new xeon workstation with win10, put Pelles C on it and tried it out.
One thing I notice is that on a first-run after I compile, the compiled exe is pretty (really) slow to start.
Once the initial first-run is done, the app starts normally thereafter.

As long as I don't compile again, it starts fast, but if I compile it to a new exe, the first-run is really slow to start.

This didn't happen on win7, so is it something to do with windows security/UAC/Defender?
Does my stuff need to be signed? I didn't do a manifest of any sort (it's just a CLI test app), would that hang things up in win10?

Just thought I'd ask in case it was a known issue/idiosyncrasy.

MrBcx:
One thing you could try is to add your app's project folder to the Windows Exclusion list.

Settings | Windows Security | Virus & Threat Protection  | Manage Settings | Add or Remove Exclusions

That solves 99% of my Windows Defender related hassles.

Vortex:
Hi tony74,

You didn't mention about any other antivirus software. Maybe, it could interfere with your application.

TimoVJL:
From virus scanner, exclude folder option is good way to avoid delays.

John Z:
Hi tony74,

I ran Pelles C for a long time on Windows 10 without issue. Only caveat is it was not a ‘workstation’.
Good bet as others have suggested is to check the antivirus software.  Disconnect from the internet then disable the antivirus software and try Pelles again. I use GData antivirus works well but occasionally flags a program I wrote - I send to them and they adjust the scanner.

John Z

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version