NO

Author Topic: A Small Drawing Program For You  (Read 5187 times)

Slider38

A Small Drawing Program For You
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:52:24 PM »
I've taken an old drawing program I wrote long ago and converted it to Windows (quite an education).   I thought it might help someone who just needs some basic images.  It's not fancy, but it works.  It creates 8 bit palattized binary images.  There are 2 versions of the program - one in 640x480 res and one in 800x600 res.  There is also a small example program.  All include source code and a copy of the Readme file.  Please take a look at that.  Each program should be opened in it's own folder.  You can find them here:
http://home.insightbb.com/~slider38/    My thanks to all here who helped me get through this.  Slider38

kobold

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 07:08:05 PM »
I watched the demo and take a look at your painting program. Looks great.
Is there an existing game that uses your graphics, or are the paintings demos too?

I made a similar program for myself years ago. Thats the good old times...

Slider38

Forever Under Construction
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:30:56 PM »
Funny you should ask about the game Kobold.  I started working on that rascal many years ago.  It currently comprises 24 pages of source code consisting of over 220 functions.  It's one of those never ending projects.  Of course I've restarted it at least twice, the latest being it's conversion to Windows.  Actually I'm almost done with the combat portion which is the last main activity to complete.  But then, I still have to create all the AI portion.  And I haven't done any music or sound yet.  In reality, I'm not sure I'll live long enough to ever finish it.  But I haven't given up  :mrgreen:   I really did my images long ago.  I've found the bianry images very easy to work with.  In order to accomplish the same things I've done with them using bitmaps, I guess you'd have to put together some kind of table or something.  Thanks for taking a look.  I hoped that some of the newer folks to programming might find something useful there.  Ah, DOS, the good old days.....   Slider

kobold

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:24:25 PM »
Yeah... the good old days...  :mrgreen:

Slider38

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
Hi Kobold,  Just for info purposes, I'm back working on the game that brought this drawing program about in the first place.  I started working on it on an intro version of Visual C++, but I'm now in the process of converting my existing code over to Pelles C.  It's mostly a process of converting a few Direct Draw and Direct Input calls to C.  You asked about the images in the demo.  They are definitely from the game program.  Like I said in the Readme - I'm no artist, but I like the way my battle tiles turned out.  This is strictly a 2 dimensional game - basically an old Nintendo game redone.  It would resemble an old board game I guess.  Anyway, back to work  :)   Slider