NO

Author Topic: Minor improvement suggestions  (Read 4813 times)

skirby

Minor improvement suggestions
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »
Hello Pelle,

First of all, thank you very much for this really great program  =D>
Now, I have some suggestions in order to make the IDE a little better (in my opinion)

What do you think about these suggestions?

1./ Move open file tabs in the order they are displayed

I think it is more natural to move between tabs in order the are displayed rather than in order the were opened.
I really hope you could add this feature because I don't often use the mouse and I always lost when switching between files with Ctrl+Tab

Moreover, adding the possibility to drag them in order to organize them could be interesting

2./ Adding the possibility to add a shorcut to "Find in file"

So far, I haven't found a shortcut key to Find in file.

3./ Adding the possibility to reduce the gutter where line number are displayed

Where you work on 800*600, the gutter take a lot of place while there are only few line in files.
Don't you think it would be better that gutter should be enlarged only if it is necessary? (enlarged the gutter with the line number)

4./ Search and replace in files

Not indispensable but useful.

That's all.
I am not solicitous :wink:

I hope you will take some of my suggestions in consideration.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Re: Minor improvement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »
Hello,

Quote from: "skirby"

I think it is more natural to move between tabs in order the are displayed rather than in order the were opened.
I really hope you could add this feature because I don't often use the mouse and I always lost when switching between files with Ctrl+Tab

Moreover, adding the possibility to drag them in order to organize them could be interesting

IIRC, the tabs should be in MDI window order, and match the window list under "Window". I like to keep things simple, so only drag & drop if the Tab control can be persuaded to do this "automatically". I'm not sure about this...

"Tools" -> "Customize" -> "Keyboard" ...

3./ Adding the possibility to reduce the gutter where line number are displayed

Where you work on 800*600, the gutter take a lot of place while there are only few line in files.
Don't you think it would be better that gutter should be enlarged only if it is necessary? (enlarged the gutter with the line number)

It *might* look better with a dynamic gutter width, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble... (it may also be annoying when everything after the gutter starts moving...)

Yes - and also a wonderful way of messing up your files (maybe)... not so easy to undo this type of operation...
/Pelle

skirby

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:48:35 PM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
Hello,

IIRC, the tabs should be in MDI window order, and match the window list under "Window". I like to keep things simple, so only drag & drop if the Tab control can be persuaded to do this "automatically". I'm not sure about this...
OK, I do not insist.

"Tools" -> "Customize" -> "Keyboard" ...
I know that but "Find in files" is not in the "Edit" category

Yes - and also a wonderful way of messing up your files (maybe)... not so easy to undo this type of operation...
I agree with you.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
files" is not in the "Edit" category

It once was in the "File" menu, so it can be found in the "File" category. Probably for "compatibility" reasons, but perhaps better to move it to the correct category...
/Pelle

skirby

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »
Thank you very much  :D

Otherwise, do you think you could add the possibility to switch between corresponding brackets ( ) or curly brace {} with a key combination.
It should be easy to do because you are already able to signal the corresponding braket with dot line.

I ask for this because it is really useful when you have a long piece of code and need to go to the next instrution after the bracket.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 03:00:31 PM »
F12 in default setup (see help: POIDE reference, Source editor, Editing keys...)
/Pelle

skirby

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 03:18:51 PM »
You are right again (once more time).
Sorry, the next time I will search a little bit more before posting something.

Assuredly, I love Pelles C more and more, day after day  :D

Thanks.