NO

Author Topic: Upgraded Beta keeps crashing  (Read 3257 times)

kalikiana

Upgraded Beta keeps crashing
« on: July 12, 2006, 05:00:31 AM »
Hello,
now I eventually updated to PellesC 4.5 Beta, but the IDE startup seems pretty unstable. Whenever I wanna use the IDE, I might have to try to start it 10 times until it doesn't crash immediately and stay working. Then working is no problem anymore. But then randomly the compiler gives error 42 (I believe it was) and doesn't tell me what's wrong. In fact, on a second attempt to compile it works just fine.

I do know that this is the Beta. But I didn't find anyone reporting this issue one the forum. By the way, it's WinXP SP2.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »
It's pretty stable here.

Error 42 might be from building browse information (try unchecking "Build browse information" in "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Source tab" - any difference?!).

The beta version should create a file called POIDE.XPT in the same directory as POIDE.EXE. What does it say? Maybe an address I can work from...?!
/Pelle

kalikiana

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:24:17 PM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
It's pretty stable here.

Error 42 might be from building browse information (try unchecking "Build browse information" in "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Source tab" - any difference?!).

The beta version should create a file called POIDE.XPT in the same directory as POIDE.EXE. What does it say? Maybe an address I can work from...?!

I'm sorry. But since I tried the Beta it's been a while. And with the IDE crashing so often any serious work was impossible. So I downgraded to the stable release and hence have no logfiles anymore.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 10:23:04 PM »
OK, not much to do then.

The fact that much of the exception handling is turned off in the beta IDE (to avoid hiding possible bugs) will also affect add-ins. A faulty add-in can much easier bring down the IDE. Maybe this is why it appears more stable on my machine (I might be using a different set of add-ins)? Not sure... Just an idea...
/Pelle