NO

Author Topic: POIDE: Better support for ext. assembler(fasm)  (Read 4479 times)

okasvi

POIDE: Better support for ext. assembler(fasm)
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:29:04 AM »
I would like to see usage of ext. assembler(fasm) to be made easier, because
I'm really wondering if no one else has ever before tried to use fasm with poide, because it certainly doesnt work just by setting AS to *:\path\to\fasm.exe and removing/clearing/changing ASFLAGS.
I had really hard time figuring this out, even tho it's really simple...
1. add .asm to project if there is none yet
2. set AS to point *:\*\fasm.exe
3. remove ASFLAGS
4. save & close poide
5. open <project name>.ppj ie. notepad
6. change
Code: [Select]
output\asd.obj: \
asd.asm
$(AS) $(ASFLAGS) -Fo"$@" "$!"

to
output\asd.obj: \
asd.asm
$(AS) "$!" "$@"

7. open project after closing&saving .ppj and it should compile...

I dont think this is big problem, but would make project creation little bit faster&easier process atleast for me :)

Romashka

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:10:27 PM »
FASM support would be nice!  :wink:

Synfire

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:42:46 AM »
I would like to see usage of ext. assembler(fasm) to be made easier

I don't find it difficult at all. The PoIDE project files are really not that dissimilar from makefiles. Makefiles are how most C programmers organized projects for years, and anyone familiar with them will have little problems adding support for whatever compiler/assembler/linker they want to PoIDE's build option.

I don't really see a reason to add support for FASM, or any other assembler, since PoIDE was, faik, created for use with PellesC. One of the things that attracted me to PoIDE is that it focuses on a specific tool set. By doing so, it makes the most out of the development environment. I dislike tools like RadASM, WinASM, and Visual Studios because they try and cater to so many things that they tend to become bloated or difficult to use.

Adding support for external assemblers seems more like a job for an Addin or Project Wizard rather than an update to the IDE itself. There are excellent samples of creating Addin's and Project Wizards on the PellesC source code page.

Regards,
Bryant Keller

Romashka

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 01:09:38 AM »
Quote from: "Synfire"
I would like to see usage of ext. assembler(fasm) to be made easier

I don't find it difficult at all. The PoIDE project files are really not that dissimilar from makefiles. Makefiles are how most C programmers organized projects for years, and anyone familiar with them will have little problems adding support for whatever compiler/assembler/linker they want to PoIDE's build option.

It's annoying to repeat step 6 from first post each time. An option in IDE would be nice.
And FASM is much better than those old RadASM, MASM, TASM, NASM etc.

Synfire

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:08:45 AM »
Quote from: "Romashka"
It's annoying to repeat step 6 from first post each time. An option in IDE would be nice.

Like I said, it sounds more like a feature for an Addin or Project Wizard than for Pelle to code support for external products which have nothing to do with the package he distributes. That would be like telling the developers of Fresh to add support for PoCC.

Quote from: "Romashka"
And FASM is much better than those old RadASM, MASM, TASM, NASM etc.

RadASM is an IDE, not an assembler. As for the rest, it's a matter of personal taste which assembler you use. I personally think FASM falls far behind PoASM, and NASM is just as good as FASM if you know how to use it. But again, that's personal opinion. Many people will disagree with me, but that's why we have so many choices. I think it's probably best though, for sake of the topic, to leave personal taste at the door and focus on wether it is better for Pelle to spend time adding extendability for external applications to his IDE, or have the users who want that specific functionality to create a simple project wizard which automatically makes the needed changes so the end users won't have to continuously modify the project files.

For example, I wanted support for quickly creating various PoASM projects without having to setup the project by hand. So, I spent about two hours looking over the demo code available from the PellesC source code page on PoIDE Wizards and then a few hours later released a Wizard which sets up everything for it. So if anyone wants that functionality, they simply download the pawiz.zip file from this forum and move the dll into their Wizards directory. No need for a complete update of their IDE, no need for Pelle to code support into the IDE itself. It saves time all around and is a decent learning exercise about customization of PoIDE.

Regards,
Bryant Keller

Freddy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »
Support for FASM would be great!
Both FASM and Pelles C are the best free tools available for coding.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 08:25:54 AM »
First Aid for FAsm

Copy AsFAsm.dll to AddIn directory.
Copy FAsm.cmd to PellesC\bin directory and
In FAsm.cmd change real path for fasm.exe

After creating project use FAsm button to
clear ASFLAGS

FAsm.cmd example.

@SET INCLUDE=C:\FASMW\INCLUDE
@C:\FASMW\fasm.exe %2
May the source be with you