NO

Author Topic: improve project dependencies feature  (Read 5911 times)

Romashka

improve project dependencies feature
« on: October 01, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »
It is possible to set project dependencies in a workspace with
Project -> Workspace -> Project dependencies...

But here is the problem:
for example, I create few projects in one workspace - one for library and few for test programs.
It would be nice to have all test programs rebuilt after library rebuild. But Pelles IDE does not allow this.
When setting test programs projects as dependencies for library project they will be built before library.
Setting library project as a dependency for test programs projects doesn't solve anything. It just ensures that when building active test project first the library will be built.
And I have to continuously change active project during library developing.

Now, the feature request: please add an option to force rebuild of all projects that depends on currently built project after its build.
Then I can set library project as active, and when I rebuild it all test programs project will be built automatically.

P.S.: sorry for such long explanation.

Romashka

Re: improve project dependencies feature
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:17:28 PM »
Any chances for this to being considered for implementing?
I can live with "No" here, I just want to know if I should hope or not. :)

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
This doesn't really fit my definition of "dependencies". The current solution works for me and until I have a problem similar to yours, very little will happen I'm afraid...
/Pelle

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:39:45 AM »
This doesn't really fit my definition of "dependencies". The current solution works for me and until I have a problem similar to yours, very little will happen I'm afraid...
At John homepage you can find an IDE addin for compiling to release, debug and profiling. Perhaps you can use it as an example to create you own compile all button (and share it with us at user contributions or at JohnF homepage ;) ).

So Pelle can do more things where we can not help him. ;)
best regards
 Alex ;)

Romashka

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:37:15 PM »
At John homepage you can find an IDE addin for compiling to release, debug and profiling. Perhaps you can use it as an example to create you own compile all button (and share it with us at user contributions or at JohnF homepage ;) ).
Thank you, I'll look into that.

Romashka

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
I looked into that addon, but decided to go another way.
I thought it would be nice to have one make file for multiple compilers,
so I've created my own make replacement (took only 2 days).
Now I use Pelles IDE's build command to build the DLL because it shows errors more nicely,
and call my build script with custom shortcut to build both static lib and DLL, all tests and tools in one step.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:31:30 AM by Romashka »

oforshell

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
I have a problem with this too.

I'd actually prefer to be able to add any file of any type to the project dependencies. If it is an unrecognized type to the dependency generator then a time stamp check is perfectly adequate.

I also have the situation where a specific .h file is common to a lot of projects and therefore doesn't reside in the directory of the current project. However, since I'm converting my IA-32 function libraries from OpenWatcom I am making a lot of changes to the .h file as well. The project manager doesn't allow an .h file in another directory to be entered as a project dependency .