NO

Author Topic: Pelles C Imposes Zero Tolerance On Spammers  (Read 8135 times)

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Pelles C Imposes Zero Tolerance On Spammers
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 04:47:06 PM »
It seems that this place has become a kind of spammer's heaven   :(
This is really a pity because parents of teens starting to approach programming could  become frightened of this forum.
Moreover a delayed cleaning could leave after effects becouse unfortunately the net have memory! :(
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

dancho

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 10:05:19 AM »
@Pelle

There is very simple and yet most efficient solution to this problem ( others forums which I am member use it with success ) , basicly what you need to do is delay time for a new member after he/she can submit his first post,let me explain...
I registered today in pellec forum and I cant submit my first post for a 5 days , for a normal user that isnt a big problem waiting for couple of days but for a spammer it is.
Try this and I think that you want be disappointment...

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 03:34:11 PM »
I can switch to manually accepting each registration, which will probably help, but I'm not convinced all people are willing to wait for it... (but I can always try...)
/Pelle

Synfire

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »
Heya Everyone,

I was just passing through, just got back from vacation and I had recommended Pelles C to someone and thought I would check to see what was going on in the forums. I just had to reply to this post as, ironically enough, the reason I stopped regularly visiting this board is because it become too much of a pain to wade through all the spam messages.

Waiting for manual acceptance will probably get on newcommers nerves. I don't recommend it myself. A captcha system, email verification, and a good collection of dedicated moderators is probably the best way to go.

Btw, if they aren't already moderators, I'd vote that Frankie and Gerome would make good moderators for this forum. I base that on the fact that, in the past when I would hang around here, the two of them were more active on this board than anyone (including Pelle).

It does seem that the spamming has taken a great decline since I left, I'll definately try to come around more often. I can't promise anything though as my next project focuses primarily on GoASM. When I get some time I'll probably clean up PAWiz or think of something which deals with PoASM to draw me back here as a follow up. But until then, I'll see you guys around.

Take care,
Bryant Keller