NO

Author Topic: Bad effect with NAV  (Read 5352 times)

bhays

Bad effect with NAV
« on: October 28, 2004, 09:13:38 PM »
I have a large app that uses the xcc compiler and related libs via xHarbour. When that app is running under '98 and Norton's AutoProtect is on, my app is fine but all OTHER apps slow to a crawl.
If I link my app with Borland, all is fine. But I like your stuff and want to use it :-)
This is only under Win98 with Norton; other AV's are OK. Smaller test  programs using xcc do not have the problem, so there must be something in one of the libs that Norton reacts to.
Do you have any ideas at all how to resolve this problem? It's a commercial app that I need to release soon, and we cannot yet afford to stop supporting '98 because a lot of users still have it.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Bad effect with NAV
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 06:15:29 AM »
You mean other apps are working at acceptable speed just by turning off Norton's AutoProtect? Have you checked the memory usage? Compared it to Borland?

Pelle
/Pelle

bhays

Bad effect with NAV
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 08:18:10 AM »
You mean other apps are working at acceptable speed just by turning off Norton's AutoProtect? Pelle[/quote]

Yes.  Turn off AutoProtect and all is fine. With it ON, our app works but other apps become useless.

Quote from: "Pelle"
Have you checked the memory usage? Compared it to Borland?Pelle

I will Friday. It's been a long time since I did any debugging on '98. We can duplicate it on a machine in our office (the other is a beta tester out of state), and I asked one of our tech support guys to make sure Resource Monitor is installed.  On xp the mem usage has always been terrific (Borland stats are similar), but I just realized I need to check that too with nav running in case there's a problem that just isn't as noticeable.

bhays

Bad effect with NAV
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 12:00:34 AM »
Pelle:
It's been a while since I checked in, and saw that you've fixed all the IDE issues I ever asked about. Thanks so much! I just posted a happy PayPal donation :-)
We were unfortunately unable to resolve the crazy interaction with NAV, and I've continued to ship product using Borland for that one reason.
Any chance you have any other ideas why Norton would cause other apps in'98 to slow down when my PellesC-built app is running?
Thanks again,
Brian

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Re: Bad effect with NAV
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 03:09:10 PM »
Quote from: "bhays"

It's been a while since I checked in, and saw that you've fixed all the IDE issues I ever asked about. Thanks so much! I just posted a happy PayPal donation :-)

Thank you very much - appreciated!

Quote from: "bhays"

We were unfortunately unable to resolve the crazy interaction with NAV, and I've continued to ship product using Borland for that one reason.
Any chance you have any other ideas why Norton would cause other apps in'98 to slow down when my PellesC-built app is running?

I'm sad to say - no. Not really sure where to start looking. No other reports regarding Win98 and NAV - no pattern to observe. If there is anything I could do to fix it, I would, but I'm not sure where to begin...

Pelle
/Pelle

bhays

Bad effect with NAV
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »
OK, thanks for the reply. I'll let you know if we learn any more.