NO

Author Topic: Problem with ANSI 99 bool in windows includes  (Read 4346 times)

Converter

Problem with ANSI 99 bool in windows includes
« on: February 04, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
Hi,

I searched the forum and couldn't find this discussed. I recompile working code from another compiler but when I compile one file (Win32) I get this:

Building Dbg.obj.
C:\Program Files\PellesC\Include\Win\oaidl.h(261): fel #2067: Otillåten användning av '_Bool'.
C:\Program Files\PellesC\Include\Win\oaidl.h(261): fel #2047: Förväntade ett fältnamn.
C:\Program Files\PellesC\Include\Win\propidl.h(206): fel #2067: Otillåten användning av '_Bool'.
C:\Program Files\PellesC\Include\Win\propidl.h(206): fel #2047: Förväntade ett fältnamn.

(I get Swedish error messages even if I have an English XP and English IDE but for someone else looking the first means "Illegal use of" and the second "expected a field name").

the actual line is in a union:

union {
                VARIANT_BOOL boolVal;
                _VARIANT_BOOL bool;

so it seems that my inclusion of the ANSI 99 <stdbool.h> /* stdbool.h - C99 standard header */ (that typedefs bool) breaks it.

I guess I can find a way not to include these two h-files but it may break other dependencies, the other compiler has the same use of bool as name in the same h-files but there they never get included there. Perhaps there is a defined constant that can be undefined to exclude this inclusion? I could avoid using bool and isntead use the windows-defined BOOL but I have many libraries that are generic and not only use with Windows so a standard bool is better.

I just started looking into Pelles C and I really like it so far.

Best

Converter

Re: Problem with ANSI 99 bool in windows includes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
Some more info:

I first thought this was a bug since (from memory) I thought bool was a typedef and then the struct member bool in the included file would be in another namespace and should be OK, but I now see that <stdbool.h> bool is a macro so it is nothing wrong just one of these things that easily can happen in C especially when mixing code using old C standards (like the Win API) with C99.

That the compiler error messages are in Swedish in spite of an English IDE and XP (and I never checked Swedish language installation) seems like a bug though but I can live with that (since I am Swedish, I just don't like to mix languages, while programming I am in "English mode").

After a lot of test compilation of I still realy like what I see but I haven't yet reached the point were I can compare speed (which was one reasons for testing Pelles C).

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »
What this program shows to you ?

Code: [Select]
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#include <windows.h>

int __cdecl WinMainCRTStartup(void)
{
TCHAR szTmp[512];

LCID lcidt = GetThreadLocale();
LCID lcids = GetSystemDefaultLCID();
LCID lcidu = GetUserDefaultLCID();
wsprintf(szTmp, "ThreadLocale  %04Xh\n"
"SystemDefaultLCID  %04Xh\n"
"GetUserDefaultLCID %04Xh"
, lcidt, lcids, lcidu);
MessageBox(0, szTmp, "GetDefaultLCID", MB_OK);
return 0;
}
May the source be with you

Converter

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
Results:

ThreadLocale         : 041Dh  Swedish
SystemDefaultLCID  : 0409h  English (US)
GetUserDefaultLCID : 041Dh  Swedish 

In Control Panel I have:

Regional Options tab : Swedish (decimal , instead of . etc.)
 Languages tab : Language used in menu and dialogs: English
 Advanced tab : Languages for non-Unicode programs: English (US)

I don't think I have a single program that shows any Swedish text
(but I know one that has menus etc. in English but the MessageBoxes
are in German!).

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:55:21 AM »
Your thread locale was swedish so Windows pick up swedish messages from pocc.exe.
If you just want use only english rip off swedish messages from pocc.exe with poide.
May the source be with you

Converter

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »
OK, it worked. Thanks.