NO

Author Topic: PellesC for Linux  (Read 9199 times)

Jeffrey

PellesC for Linux
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:47:50 AM »
I can't speak for the other PellesC users, but I would love a PellesC for Linux as I do a bit of development of both and have come to like PellesC ease of use. I normally use GCC for my linux development, but I hate the Windows ports as they don't provide a viable LibC implementation, so I am stuck using the Microsoft's dynamic libraries. GCC is also a bit of an over-kill for the projects I work on, which I end up spending quite a bit of time in configuring the build scripts alone.

Romashka

Re: PellesC for Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »
Sadly, I don't think this will happen anytime soon. :( (I would love it to happen though, of course)
This was discussed a couple of times in past.
See the latest thread for some info about available GCC alternatives.

Jeffrey

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:19:04 AM »
Yeah, I didn't think so; I just wanted to put my christmas wish in early :P!

I have used a number of a compiler suites, including GCC/CYGWIN, LCC, MSVC, TCC, etc., and was just looking for one that I could use on both platforms with as little portability issues as possible. I have built GCC/CYGWIN cross compilers that could do the trick, but again, I am trying to go with the easiest of use.

Thanks!

V/R
Jeffrey

benjaminmaggi

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:26 AM »
PellesC will run on linux with WINE, you can compile programs that will run on Linux (through WINE) if you use well documented WIN32 Api Functions and stay away from unknown or obscure API calls you code will work great.
Im using eagle CAD, Lotus Notes 7 and many other programs, It's not windows but it's not bochs, the API is verry well emulated, works pretty good.

Romashka

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:31:26 AM »
PellesC will run on linux with WINE

Yes, this is good for developing win32 apps without cross-compiling with GCC.

you can compile programs that will run on Linux (through WINE) if you use well documented WIN32 Api Functions and stay away from unknown or obscure API calls you code will work great
And this is actually a bad idea.
It's always better to write cross-platform application using Qt/wxWidgets/etc. if developer wants his software to run on Linux instead of using libwine or just making the app Wine-runnable.
Actually, I think most people that ask for Pelles C on Linux wants the real Linux port of pocc/pocrt (not Jeffrey though).

Freddy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 07:55:27 PM »
IMHO, Pelles C for Linux together with the excellent IDE would be great idea!