NO

Author Topic: Minor suggestions  (Read 8212 times)

ssb

Minor suggestions
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:21:10 AM »
First I want to thank you for the excellent compiler. I code in C for decades and it's first time I see such a quality pro-class product free of all the bloat others have. Great job indeed!

Although I used to write code with my trusty editor, I really liked PellesC (v5) IDE and started using it on daily basis. However I have some minor, easy to implement suggestions.

1. Make "New project" dialog a bit wider (~20%) or resizable.
2. File - "Save As..." currently uses fixed sized dialog instead a resizable one, like file open. I think this is a minor but quite annoying bug.
3. Close tabs using mouse mid click
4. A tab context menu command allowing to close all the others tabs except current
5. Use mouse/key combination for "Go to definition of..." (something like CTRL-left click)
6. A "delete current line" editor command + shortcut (maybe a delete to EOL too, if you wish). I had suggested this two years ago but seems you forgot to implement it. Please do that, as it's a very common action during coding.

I hope you consider implementing these in a future release.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:30:38 PM by ssb »

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Re: Minor suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:01:15 PM »
OK, thanks!

Resizable is on my personal wishlist and the best general solution - but also a bit harder to do. Probably.

2. File - "Save As..." currently uses fixed sized dialog instead a resizable one, like file open. I think this is a minor but quite annoying bug.
Bug? No. Something to change? Maybe.

3. Close tabs using mouse mid click
Maybe.

4. A tab context menu command allowing to close all the others tabs except current
I have seen it, and always found it rather useless. I think not.

5. Use mouse/key combination for "Go to definition of..." (something like CTRL-left click)
Maybe, If I can find a combination that isn't needed for something more important.

6. A "delete current line" editor command + shortcut (maybe a delete to EOL too, if you wish). I had suggested this two years ago but seems you forgot to implement it. Please do that, as it's a very common action during coding.
Same as 4.
/Pelle

ssb

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:00:12 AM »
Thanks for the answer Pele, and welcome back.  :)

About #6, could you please reconsider it? Sorry to insist but line deletions is a common task and the lack of a shortcut command is very annoying.

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:52:03 AM »
Thanks for the answer Pele, and welcome back.  :)

About #6, could you please reconsider it? Sorry to insist but line deletions is a common task and the lack of a shortcut command is very annoying.

What would you suggest that is simpler than the standard line delete shortcut Shift+End Delete?

Robert Wishlaw

ssb

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
What would you suggest that is simpler than the standard line delete shortcut Shift+End Delete?

This is a workaround, Robert, and definitely not a shortcut. Although this 'workaround' works on all Windows text controls, I don't know a single text editor that doesn't support a dedicated "delete-current-line" shortcut; excluding Windows Notepad ofcourse! :)

iancasey

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:24:59 PM »
Quote from: ssb on July 30, 2008, 04:21:10 PM
Resizable is on my personal wishlist and the best general solution - but also a bit harder to do. Probably.

Hi Pelle,
Glad you are back!!

this may help with resizing/moving controls
originally from my BCX code:

http://www.bcxgurus.com/bcxusers/Ian/AnchorDemo.C after you get past the BCX additions.

easy to add/get form size to ini file or registry using GetWindowPlacement/ SetWindowPlacement then take original size and resize to the values needed.

Ian

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »
OK, thanks.
/Pelle

ashiq

definitely not a shortcut
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:27 AM »
This is a workaround, Robert, and definitely not a shortcut. Although this 'workaround' works on all Windows text controls, I don't know a single text editor that doesn't support a dedicated "delete-current-line" shortcut; excluding Windows.

copperbar

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
I have seen it, and always found it rather useless. I think not.

Same as 4.

A "delete current line" editor command + shortcut is "useless" ?!?

Every single editor out there worth anything has it but you won't put in such a basic shortcut ? Unbelievable.
 A shame because the IDE is pretty decent for a one-man project.
Ignoring this very basic request for years even after numerous demands for it is either incredibly stupid
or plain old stubborn short-sightedness of the worst kind.
I know this is your editor but come on, make the minimum of effort in putting yourself in other people's places when coding !