NO

Author Topic: Nooby Question(s) ...  (Read 3878 times)

tbohon

Nooby Question(s) ...
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »
OK - I've downloaded the latest and greatest Pelles C compiler and am able to write small console applications.  However, I keep seeing mention of Windows programs which I presume are done in some sort of WYSIWYG environment (?).  Am I correct and if so, how do I access same?

Sorry if this is really basic but I'd really like to get 'into' Pelles C .

Thanks in advance.

Tom

ssb

Re: Nooby Question(s) ...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
You have to learn the language before going deeper in GUI programming. Believe me, GUIs in C (or C++) isn't the easiest task even for experienced programmers.
If you like, take a look at this tutorial.

Offline MrBcx

• Global Moderator
    • Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:50:53 AM »
BCX -- Basic To C Translator is a powerful complement to Pelles C.

There are many samples for creating console, gui, and dll files.

BCX writes the C code, so you don't have to :-)

www.bcxgurus.com
Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
https://www.BcxBasicCoders.com

severach

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »

tbohon

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm more than familiar with the C language - taught it as an adjunct college professor for 12+ years and have several 'commercial' (read "for my employer") C programs in the system.  I also understand the very basics of Windows programming.

What I was interested in was finding out if there is an IDE environment available for Pelles C.  If so, I can definitely use it (after 42+ years in the progamming/computer business, I've become a bit lazy) - if not, then I'll start in with the coding work.

Appreciate it!

Tom

JohnF

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:44:58 PM »
When you start PellesC - that is the IDE. However, I expect you mean a visual way to create GUI's. PellesC supplies Wizards that will help some. For example you could choose to create a Dialog based app using a Wizard, this will allow you to place various controls onto the dialog visually - the Wizard will then create a skeleton app for you.

You can find the Wizards by selecting 'New/Project' from the main menu.

I will stress though that to become proficient in programming Windows GUI apps, one needs to get to grips with the Windows code.

Once the app has been created double click on the RC listed below the project listing. Now you can add controls etc. to the dialog. You will need to find your way around, this comes with practice.

John

tbohon

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »
Thanks, John - you restated my question using the correct terms.

And I agree about hitting it at the code level ... but whenever I start learning a new language/implementation of an 'old' language I always try to create a few simple dialogs then look at the generated code.  It kind of gives me a feel for what's behind the scenes.

Appreciate it!

Tom

JohnF

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:11:14 PM »
When you are ready there are a huge amount of code examples to look at.

John