NO

Author Topic: Using Pelles C for the first time as a non-programmer  (Read 5256 times)

forkinpm

Using Pelles C for the first time as a non-programmer
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
Hallo!
I have never programmed but I make designs for applications.
I now need to do some programming to create function for an application I wish to realise.
Can anyone give me some useful tips as to where to begin or perhapos suggest a book or primer I ought to read to get some ideas about how to do what I want to do.
For any useful suggestions I would be more than grateful.
Kind regards, forkinpm.

JohnF

Re: Using Pelles C for the first time as a non-programmer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »
You don't give much information as to what you want. What is the function you wish to make?

As a start, use the PellesC wizard to create the app and then add the extra funcs you require. Look at examples if you have no idea at all.

John

jwzumwalt

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:09:07 AM »
I have been working on Pelles C examples for a few weeks. I reorganized the order and need to adjust the listing numbers - thats about it. I had intended on contacting this group in a week or two and planned to make a donation... Anyway, here they are; working very well but still slightly incomplete.

www.c.neatinfo.com/public/4-tutors/pellec-c-examples

enjoy - JZ
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:55:18 AM by jwzumwalt »

forkinpm

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:07:09 AM »
Hallo John!

You asked my what I am trying to do.
Well, I am in the process of building an SQL based English German Parts-of-Speech tagged dictionary to support translating my English texts into German.
So what I want to do is build scripts to translate at the level of segments of sentences.
Does that answer your question.
How did I get to this C IDE. Well I got to it because it looked like the best tool and IDE for starting to program; also I felt I was likely to find the best scripts to test and learn.
Can you now help me?
I hope so.
Regards, forkinpm

JohnF

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:25:04 AM »
Hallo John!

You asked my what I am trying to do.
Well, I am in the process of building an SQL based English German Parts-of-Speech tagged dictionary to support translating my English texts into German.
So what I want to do is build scripts to translate at the level of segments of sentences.
Does that answer your question.

Not really. However, you need to start learning so here's what I suggest.

Learn how to start a project with PellesC, look at others example listings, simple ones to start with, then begin.

You can check back here with your code and someone will respond with suggestions or corrections.

Always check out others code, it is one of the most effective ways to learn.

You will see the structure of others listings and hopefully gain some experience.

John

forkinpm

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »
Hello John!
I thank you for the reply, but I feel that looking at specific scripts dealing with accessing an SQL database would be much closer to what I want to do.
It would, I feel, be of more help.
Can you suggest where I might be able to access such scripts?
Thanks again and kind regards, forkinpm.

JohnF

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »
How about using Google.

"SQL database scripts"

John

jwzumwalt

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 03:06:57 AM »
I've created a simple IDE beginners guide for PelleC.

www.c.neatinfo.com/public/4-tutors/pellec-c-examples
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:54:03 AM by jwzumwalt »

woolybear

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 12:08:28 AM »
Wonderful though C can be (and hoping to avoid a my language is better than your language flame war)....

I wonder if it's the best choice for someone learning to program. It can be quite an unforgiving beast at times and often somewhat cryptic.

Personally I'd start with something a bit more pleasant such as Python and save C for the fine optimisations or those situations where it just has to be an efficient compiled language.

Just a thought.

The Wooly One

forkinpm

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:24:11 AM »
Hallo!
John, you were kind enough to respond to my first mail, but I was too bogged down until now to tell you what I wanted. Here it is.
I have written a book which will be published in English and am trying to create a simple translation model to be able to translate my texts into German. After having looked at at a whole set of products to use such as BASIC and scripting languages I decided I would try to use C and C++ based on using the Pelles IDE.
Why this one; because it is elegant and somehow understandable for a non-programmer.
I am building a tagged english-German dictionary in two versions CSV and a database version
The tasks now are to get a manual working model of the translation method programmed.
1. The first task to to add Parts-of-speech tags to words in a sentence - copied from the dictionary.
2. Next task is to segment the sentence using rules stored in the dictionary.
3. Add German word tags to the words in the sentence, needed for translation.
4. Resequence the segments into a German sequence, again using rules stored in the dictionary.
5. Create dictionary search & translate scripts for each segment.
6. Translate.
The meothod has many advantages compared with traditional methods and products.
After sufficienty testing all of the scripts will be combined into one program.
If you would like to reply then I would be happy to receive your comments and suggestions.
I can provide you with a description I have prepared.
Regards, forkinpm.

JohnF

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »
Hallo!
John, you were kind enough to respond to my first mail, but I was too bogged down until now to tell you what I wanted. Here it is.
I have written a book which will be published in English and am trying to create a simple translation model to be able to translate my texts into German. After having looked at at a whole set of products to use such as BASIC and scripting languages I decided I would try to use C and C++ based on using the Pelles IDE.
Why this one; because it is elegant and somehow understandable for a non-programmer.
I am building a tagged english-German dictionary in two versions CSV and a database version
The tasks now are to get a manual working model of the translation method programmed.
1. The first task to to add Parts-of-speech tags to words in a sentence - copied from the dictionary.
2. Next task is to segment the sentence using rules stored in the dictionary.
3. Add German word tags to the words in the sentence, needed for translation.
4. Resequence the segments into a German sequence, again using rules stored in the dictionary.
5. Create dictionary search & translate scripts for each segment.
6. Translate.
The meothod has many advantages compared with traditional methods and products.
After sufficienty testing all of the scripts will be combined into one program.
If you would like to reply then I would be happy to receive your comments and suggestions.
I can provide you with a description I have prepared.
Regards, forkinpm.

I still don't know what you want! Do you want help with code, help with designing the program?

I doubt anyone here will write it for you.

John