NO

Author Topic: Will POASM support Linux platform?  (Read 12316 times)

H.E.

Will POASM support Linux platform?
« on: February 29, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
Hello,

First of all thanks for such great job, pelle. And I would be very happy if I could use poasm under linux. I know there exist nasm&gas but I like masm-like syntax. Is there a linux port in near future?

regards
H.E.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Re: Will POASM support Linux platform?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »
The Linux market is too small to be interesting. I don't think so...
/Pelle

Romashka

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:17:53 AM »
Market?
I'm confused with this word (POCC/POASM are free, so I don't see a market)

severach

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:06:20 AM »
It would be a lot of work to port it to Linux and a lot of extra work to maintain the Linux side. It's more than enough work to maintain Pelles C for Windows which has plenty of other compilers. All that work and who benefits? Linux users who already have an assembler. Windows would need to be on the verge of destruction before it would be worth recoding Pelles to Linux.

Then, which Windowing environment to support? X, XFCE, or Gnome, or just for fun, how about all of them?

Synfire

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »
This is Agner Fog's object file converter, you should be able to convert your PoASM output to ELF output. I've not tried it (I just use NASM on any *nix system) but you could give it a shot. Agner's software usually works as advertised.

http://www.agner.org/optimize/#objconv

Romashka

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »
It would be a lot of work to port it to Linux and a lot of extra work to maintain the Linux side.
I did not suggest porting Pelles C to Linux. ;)
I just wondered about the "marked" word.

Then, which Windowing environment to support? X, XFCE, or Gnome, or just for fun, how about all of them?
If there will be plans for porting Pelles C to Linux - only console tools (POCC, POLINK etc.) porting would be more than enought,
there are plenty of good IDEs on Linux, but not many good C compilers that could be an alternative to GCC:
LCC is not actively maintained,
PCC too (it's very old, but some BSD folks plan improving and adopting it instead of GCC),
TCC (Tiny C Compiler) is not suited for large projects,
only GCC-LLVM is very good, though not in solid state yet, and Clang (clang.llvm.org) is very promising.
On assembler side there are nasm (2.0 is very improved), yasm (nasm-like) and fasm, oh, and ugly gas.

Oh, and some Linux apps could benefit from POCRT as well (alternatively to glibc, dietlibc and ulibc),
but for commercial apps only because the source is not free, nor even open.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:06:19 PM by Romashka »

Offline MrBcx

• Global Moderator
    • Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »
I took Pelle's use of the word "market" to mean "number of persons who
would likely be interested in a Linux version of Pelles C"

I think most of the currency that Pelle receives from his IDE comes in the
knowledge that many hobby Windows programmers enjoy using his creation
and openly express their appreciation.
Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
https://www.BcxBasicCoders.com

benjaminmaggi

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 04:20:03 AM »
Linux is pretty much dominated by GCC, you wont get those guys use anything else...
I'm a unix sysadmin and I can tell you that first hand, they love gcc just too much...
But to be honest I would like to se pellec supporting other platforms maybe ¿ OSX ? and other target CPU's POWER been my favourite, but the list goes on and on...
At this point I think pelle is done a great job and I wouldn't like to distort his vision with useless personal whises.

Romashka

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »
Linux is pretty much dominated by GCC, you wont get those guys use anything else...
I'm a unix sysadmin and I can tell you that first hand, they love gcc just too much...
Actually, there are a lot of developers that are annoyed by GCC's bugs and its developers' opinion on those bugs.
Even Linus Torvalds doesn't like GCC because of code generation/optimisation bugs and would be considering another compiler if there would be a real alternative.
Now there is only one hope - LLVM project.
Of course I'm not trying to say that POCC/POASM could take large % of usage in Linux world.
But the more to choose from - the better.
I do understand that Linux is not in Pelle's plans though.

severach

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 06:38:40 PM »
OpenWatcom is being ported to Linux so you'll eventually have another very good (and very buggy) compiler to choose from. The key to success in Linux is having a superb inline assembler for C which OpenWatcom has.

benjaminmaggi

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »
Linus Torvalds doesn't like GCC
Yea, we all know what linus thinks about the people at GNU... he's just a person, linux is not linus ...
BTW those optimizations are made to use as much from the modern processors without the use of inline assembler or fancy things, remember we 3DNOW, SSE etc... they do exist!
As far I know GCC optimizations are not SUPER but the compiler is, it does a great job.
Anyway LCC is also available on linux...For IDE tools you have plenty to choose from.
Again, you can use PellesC on linux, maybe not to compile native apps, but wine is allways an option.
As long you dont use java you are in a good path....

chrisadam12

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:29:55 AM »
A: Linux runs on almost every general-purpose computer made in the last 10 years. It runs on systems as small as PDAs (for example, the Sharp Zaurus) and on systems as large as IBM mainframes.

There are Linux distributions specifically for mobile and handheld platforms. Information on the Linux distribution for the Compaq iPAQ is at http:// www.handhelds.org.

A: Linux was written originally for Intel processor based PC's, using the hardware facilities of the 80386 processor and its successors to implement its features. The 80386 family includes the 80486 and all of the Pentium chips. However, there are now many ports to other hardware platforms. See Ports to Other Processors.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:48:56 AM by frankie »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
I have not removed the above replay to let you check it. Is it a piece of something copied and pasted here just to add an advertisement?
Of course I removed the advertisement that is not allowed by forum policy.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide