NO

Author Topic: Why Pelles C is not licensed GPL and OpenSource?  (Read 3853 times)

otengim

Why Pelles C is not licensed GPL and OpenSource?
« on: September 26, 2010, 05:23:10 AM »
Pelles C is a freeware and it is a great project but if something happens to Pelle?, There is a thread asking where is Pelle or if something happen to him so the project can stall and loose users because there will be not updates anymore.

It could be better that Pelle releases Pelles C open source and with GPL 3 license so that way he can assure that his project will live forever and I hope nothing happens to him but if happens something to Pelle someone can take the boat and continue to contribute to the project.

Also I would like to see Pelles C for Linux and Mac. Really Pelles C is the best IDE for ANSI C.

Pelle by the way thanks a lot for this great software.

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
Re: Why Pelles C is not licensed GPL and OpenSource?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »
Also I would like to see Pelles C for Linux and Mac. Really Pelles C is the best IDE for ANSI C.

If it would only be the editor, but the compiler, linker, header files, libraries, all must be ported too ...
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

JohnF

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:27:10 AM »
Pelle has already said he will not port it.

John

MichaelT

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:20:30 AM »
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but GPL is a terrible license.

If he ever were to release it, it would be much better to do so under a BSD,ZLIB,MIT etc.. license. Heck, even the WTFPL
(Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License - http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl) would be a better choice. I am not going to debate the many legality issues with GPL
(especially version 3) but rest assured, any sane commercial company would treat your code as with the plague.

Personally I have thought about this too, Pelle is after all only one person and it would be a terrible waste to loose such a great product due to an accident etc..

I can totally relate to him not wanting to freely release something he put so much effort into (I have such work as well) unfortuantely I am not as brave as to release it
freely as he did *kudos for that*. But I think that one way to go, could be the Blender way. That is, having the community buy (€100,000, like for the Blender release) for it's release.
Pelle would get some well deserved money, and could be the head honcho as Ton Roosendaal still is for the Blender project. It's a win win for everyone I think.

Just my thought anyway.