General > Chit-Chat

Antivirus Pain for the Developer and for his User (Yes a Rant)

(1/4) > >>

EdPellesC99:

--- Quote ---Per Ralf at the end of this thread:
http://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=3896.new;topicseen#new
McAfee AV is carp, better try AVast! instead, saves you money too.
--- End quote ---

When I went to Kaspersky, it was because seems to be liked by some (I think many are opinionated, but it is hard to know which are truly better).

Software (Antivirus) is not great because it costs money necessarily, but also not great necessarily because people are dedicated to making it free.

One user like me can have issues or likes with Kaspersky, but short of personally installing many and trying to compare....
For instance before I bought, I never understood this universal problem with false positives.... Then I saw what Kaspersky did to me, "protecting me" from trojans by deleting programs that I wrote !

Kaspersky was driving me nuts calling programs I wrote Trojan infected and deleting them !  I had to disable many features.

There should be an antivirus program you can "tell" ignore files in THIS folder AND when they run.
So this is a problem I have with my antivirus software operating on My machine.

On the subject of the problems with antivirus operating on the programmer's  client machine see:

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus-companies-cause-a-big-headache-to-small-developers/

Seems like small developers need users that can TRUST them to the max in spite of 15 alarm bells going off on their computer (hence my recent interest in Code Signing).

I am beginning to think that if ANY antivirus programs are marginally better, it is a neck and neck horse race, where their lead is temporary !

...  Ed

CommonTater:
Doesn't Kaspersky have a "White list?" .... that is a list of exempt programs you can add yours to while testing.

:D Of course it might work better if you weren't writing viruses :D

Stefan Pendl:
I have gone through the AV headache, where a AV software reliable for years allowed my system to get infected.

If you have to disable most of its features, do not use it, you never know what else you break.

After using McAfee, Bitdefender, Avast, Avira, Zonealarm and what else, I am now at M$ Security Essentials.
Sure MSE is the pure minimum, but what else do I need, if I take care of what I do on the web.

The interface is simplistic and it is easy to define exceptions for my development folders.

I don't need bells and whistles, just the minimum of protection against malicious files.

Vortex:
Hi EdPellesC99,

I am an assembly programmer and believe me the situation concerning applications coded with assembly is much more serious because the percentage of "false-positive" alarms tends to be higher. The reason is simple : most of the AV companies are misinterpreting the MS COFF specification and assembly has a very modest market share causing those companies to ignore this language.

EdPellesC99:
Tater:
A List that was not a Add One at a Time with several button clicks would be nice.
Here is what Kaspersky support told me:

--- Quote --- Adding this program to the Exclusions for Trusted Applications should help:

Open Kaspersky 2011.
Click on Settings.
Click on the fourth icon, it looks like a box.
Click on Threats and Exclusions on the left.
Click on the second Settings... button on the right.
Click on the Trusted Applications tab.
Click on + Add, then click on the Applications... option.
Select your program(s) one at a time.
Click OK.

Check all check boxes:
   Do not scan opened files.
   Do not monitor application activity.
   Do not inherit restrictions of the parent process (application).
   Do not monitor child application activity.
   Do not scan network traffic.
Click OK.  If more than one program needs to be Excluded, click + Add again and repeat to add it.
Click OK twice.

--- End quote ---
I am not going through and adding every program I ever wrote individually to a trusted list.

I had to just:
Click on Threats and Exclusions on the left.
Click on the *FIRST* Settings... button on the right. Then Malicious Programs and UNCHECK box for Malicious Tools.

I am given no better way !!!

Question: Is one of the decent antivirus companies Better designed for the small developer? So it is easier to exclude folders of projects in development.... Rather than having to add each .exe built to the exclusion list?
Anyone ever runs across one let me know!

Hi Vortex,

--- Quote ---I am an assembly programmer and believe me....

--- End quote ---
   Yes, I can only imagine! Assembly programs are so concise /small.

Stefan,

--- Quote ---M$ Security Essentials
The interface is simplistic and it is easy to define exceptions for my development folders.
I don't need bells and whistles, just the minimum of protection against malicious files.

--- End quote ---

Sounds interesting to me, esp if exceptions are easy to put in place.

Kaspersky's Bells and whistles were slowing my computer down (run of ALL scripts of mine that run with shortcut keys, and Tools in Toolbars that run scripts in script engines etc.).
Even double clicking an .exe in windows explorer would give me a hesitation before it ran.
[All of which is why I disabled so much].

Now on an out and in-going firewall, I like ZoneAlarm. Anyone know of any better
From what I have read, nothing is better as an outgoing connect monitor/blocker.
When I was hit by XP Repair, ZoneAlarm was Popin up telling me about a program trying to call out to the internet,
so at least I preventing the program(s) from providing feedback !

.... Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version