NO

Author Topic: POLINK: fatal error: File not found: 'MSVCRT.lib'.  (Read 9238 times)

GreenHornet

POLINK: fatal error: File not found: 'MSVCRT.lib'.
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
When building a SDL program I get the following error,

POLINK: fatal error: File not found: 'MSVCRT.lib'. :(

Could anybody help me on this? Thanks.

GH

CommonTater

Re: POLINK: fatal error: File not found: 'MSVCRT.lib'.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
Ummm... look for #pragma statements like
Code: [Select]
#pragma comment(lib,"msvcrt.lib")

Also check your linker's list of libraries and dlls...

Pelles C does not use msvcrt.lib... it has it's own pocrt.lib installed in it's libraries folder.

GreenHornet

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
On second thought I'm  probably just wasting my time trying to get Pelles to work with SDL since I already have DevCpp 4.9.9.2 working with both SDL and Allegro with no problems. Those DevPacks are marvelous!!! ;D

GH

CommonTater

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
Ok... But be warned, DEVCPP is abandonware, hasn't been supported or updated in nearly 6 years.

Others here have installed SDL with Pelles C... do some local searching.  It's probably not all that hard, just you aren't really all that familiar with Pelles setup yet... give it a bit more time.

GreenHornet

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:18:22 AM »
Ok... But be warned, DEVCPP is abandonware, hasn't been supported or updated in nearly 6 years.

Others here have installed SDL with Pelles C... do some local searching.  It's probably not all that hard, just you aren't really all that familiar with Pelles setup yet... give it a bit more time.

Well DevCpp has been working just fine for my needs. More better than Pelles or Lcc-Win32 has.

GH

GreenHornet

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:22:35 AM »
If Pelles is so good I don't see why it doesn't have PellesPacks like DevCpp has?

GH 8)

CommonTater

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 02:54:18 AM »
If Pelles is so good I don't see why it doesn't have PellesPacks like DevCpp has?

GH 8)

Have you looked in the "User Contributions" and "Addins" folders here? 
There's TONS of stuff for Pelles C...

It is a mistake to get something new and spend your time trying to make it like the old thing you got rid of... You time is much better spent learning about the new thing...

CommonTater

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 03:12:13 AM »
Ok... I just went and took a look at the SDL source... When you try to compile that, unless it's completely isolated from Pelles C, it's going to overwrite several key Pelles C files... malloc.lib, stdlib.lib at least and it's going to end up replacing includes if you just drop it into the Pelles C folders...

Best bet at this point... uninstall Pelles C, delete the folders and reinstall it to repair whatever damage may have been done... Download the precompiled DLL version of SDL and use that.

GreenHornet

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »

GH 8)

Have you looked in the "User Contributions" and "Addins" folders here? 
There's TONS of stuff for Pelles C...

It is a mistake to get something new and spend your time trying to make it like the old thing you got rid of... You time is much better spent learning about the new thing...

I looked at the addins but I didn't see any addins that would add SDL to Pelles C.

GH :-\

GreenHornet

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
Ok... I just went and took a look at the SDL source... When you try to compile that, unless it's completely isolated from Pelles C, it's going to overwrite several key Pelles C files... malloc.lib, stdlib.lib at least and it's going to end up replacing includes if you just drop it into the Pelles C folders...

Best bet at this point... uninstall Pelles C, delete the folders and reinstall it to repair whatever damage may have been done... Download the precompiled DLL version of SDL and use that.

I've got DevCpp setup now where I can do Allegro, SDL, Fmod or old Borland conio style programming! Heh,heh,heh.....heh. :-*

CommonTater

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
I've got DevCpp setup now where I can do Allegro, SDL, Fmod or old Borland conio style programming! Heh,heh,heh.....heh. :-*

Ok... good luck with that. 

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »
Have phun....

Ralf

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »
You<can try to create your own msvcrt.lib with this commands:
polib /MAKEDEF:msvcrt.def C:\pellesc\lib\win\msvcrt.lib
polib /OUT:msvcrt.lib /DEF:msvcrt.def /MACHINE:IX86
Look in this task http://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=2152.msg8060#msg8060, it was discussed before.
best regards
 Alex ;)

CommonTater

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
You<can try to create your own msvcrt.lib with this commands:
polib /MAKEDEF:msvcrt.def C:\pellesc\lib\win\msvcrt.lib
polib /OUT:msvcrt.lib /DEF:msvcrt.def /MACHINE:IX86
Look in this task http://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=2152.msg8060#msg8060, it was discussed before.

Good suggestion Alex... but he's already gone running back to his 32 bit abandonware solution...