NO

Author Topic: Will not run without debug info  (Read 4628 times)

gedumer

Will not run without debug info
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:34:04 PM »
I have an ANSI C program that I've been working on for several months. In it's current state it runs correctly using the LCCWin32, Borland, MinGW, DM, Visual C++ 6, LadSoft CC386, and OpenWatcom compilers. When I compile it with PellesC I get the infamous Windows error message box:

prog.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm running Windows 2000 XP Pro.

When I rebuild the app with PellesC Codeview debug information, it runs perfectly. The anticipated output is correct and consistent with the other compilers. I'm sorry I can't provide any other info. This appears to be an unusual situation. What can I do to provide more useful information, short of providing my source code of course?

Thanks... Gary.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 02:20:48 PM »
Yes, this sounds very unusual...

You turn on CodeView info in the linker? In the compiler too? You don't change any other settings (like optimization strategy)?

If you set Pelles C, or your favourite debugger, as the "just-in-time debugger", can you see where the app is crashing? (the exact address?  what is at this address? ...)

This would give more information than just "prog.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"...

I'm sorry, but not enought information to say much more...

Pelle
/Pelle

gedumer

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:23:07 PM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
Yes, this sounds very unusual...

You turn on CodeView info in the linker? In the compiler too? You don't change any other settings (like optimization strategy)?

If you set Pelles C, or your favourite debugger, as the "just-in-time debugger", can you see where the app is crashing? (the exact address?  what is at this address? ...)

This would give more information than just "prog.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"...

I'm sorry, but not enought information to say much more...

Pelle

Yes, I do turn Codeview on in both the compiler and linker.

No, I do not change any other settings at all.

Yes, I do run the app in the IDE using your built-in debugger... but it doesn't abort when I run it with the debugger. Neither does it abort when I run it stand-alone with the Codeview info contained in the executable.

The only time it aborts is when I compile it without Codeview... both in the IDE and stand-alone.

I wish there was more info to help you... but I can't think of anything else.

Gary.