NO

Author Topic: Bug in Resource Editor  (Read 3019 times)

ejamesr

Bug in Resource Editor
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »
I just started using Pelles C this week, am using version 6.50.8 Release Candidate #4 (Win64). 

In dialog editor, editing 'Text' property of one control changes 'Text' property on another.  Easy to duplicate:

1) Open any dialog resource (or create a new one).
2) Insert two new edit controls anywhere
3) Right-click on one, select Properties, double-click on Text property (default says 'Edit')
4) Change it to something else ('new text'), but don't press Enter
5) Use mouse to select other control
6) The new control has 'new text' for its Text property

In further testing, this seem to happen no matter what type of controls I've tried, if the Text or Name fields are in the middle of editing and you click on a different control, the editor wants to give that value being changed to the new control.

- ejamesr

CommonTater

Re: Bug in Resource Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:21:32 AM »
That's actually a feature that lets you set properties for multiple controls by selecting them while holding the CTRL key down.

I'd call it a "side effect" before I'd call it a bug.

But yes... it does happen.

ejamesr

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »
Thanks for jumping in so quickly!.

BTW, I noticed that if I do not specifically close the dialog editor, the IDE seems to not know I made changes, and I'll lose them.  I have to remember to always first Close the editor, and then the .rc file shows it has changed, and the changes can be saved.  It's unintuitive, and should be either documented or changed so that it at least offers to change my edits.

ejamesr

CommonTater

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »
I'm not the project maintainer...
I'm sure Pelle will look at this and make whatever changes he deems appropriate.

In the mean time, I'm just trying to help you keep going...

It should prompt you when the .rc file is closed.  If you do a build or close the IDE entirely it should auto-save your changes.  Look in your settings You should find one for saving files before doing a build, make sure that's enabled.

ejamesr

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
The option "Save files without prompting before build" was set.

And back to the original problem:

When I edit the "Text" property of the first control and then switch to another, the "Text" property of the first control is not changed as I had wanted.  But that change in process overwrites the "Text" property of the next selected control.  Seems like when the control being edited loses focus, the change in process should be cancelled.  Or the user should be prompted to save/cancel the change.  But it should not assign the change to the next control that is clicked.