NO

Author Topic: Start page doesn't show up  (Read 11845 times)

CommonTater

Re: Start page doesn't show up
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:08 AM »
Soon we have Windows 8 too...

Hey Pelle... go to see you posting again!  I think we all missed you.

Trust me... Windows 8 is going to be enough to send any sane person off screaming into the night!
It won't last long.  It'll probably turn into another ME or Vista deal and Windows 9 should (fingers crossed) get us back to sane desktop software.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 05:24:03 AM »
[Quote from: czerny on Yesterday at 07:14:57 PM
Hi Pelle!

But maybe there is a simple solution!
LOL... sure is...  Update your OS.

You can get XP for a couple of sheckles in second hand stores these days..
Or forget that StartPage.
If PellesC 7 works in W2K and problem is in IE5,IE6, why someone to need to upgrade to XP ?
If Pelle don't want to change that resource name, he have reason for that.
If older IE can't work as expected/documentation says, it isn't Pelles fault.

May the source be with you

CommonTater

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »
Or forget that StartPage.
If PellesC 7 works in W2K and problem is in IE5,IE6, why someone to need to upgrade to XP ?
If Pelle don't want to change that resource name, he have reason for that.
If older IE can't work as expected/documentation says, it isn't Pelles fault.

I think you misunderstood. there Timo.... I was replying to Czerny. Being a bit of a smart ass, suggesting he update his OS. 

I'm very sure Pelle has good reason that it is as it is...

EDIT: It can be disabled in Tools -> Options -> General

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:37:53 PM by CommonTater »

czerny

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »
I don't understand the problem!

I do not expect that Pelle should fix this. I am very happy to have a good IDE which works with w2k.
But why should I not try to find a solution  for this problem. I too have good reasons not to upgrade.
If I can not find the problem, I will live without this start page.  It is much more importend to me that the compiler is bugfree as much as possible.

But first I like do understand the problem:

Look at: http://www.orcus.de/Entities/pages/show_dev/res_only_dll/SampleResProto.htm

All the res urls at this page work for me. In particular there is an url (res://NTOSKRNL.EXE/2/1) which is in the numeric form. It works with and whitout '#'. But it is not the default (#23).

All these resources are in the system32 directory. But it is not enough to copy the rsrc0009.dll in this dir. And as I wrote earlyer, the banner could be found, if I include the Pelles C bin in the path. But it is not working with the start page as such.

I can not find a description of this bug in the net. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

czerny

czerny

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
If I give the complete path the following is working with and whitout '#':
Code: [Select]
res://C:\Programme\PellesC\Bin\Intl\rsrc0009.dll/23/8246

So, if the startpage could be user defineable (maybe under options->web) it would be also easyer for others to adjust it.  ;)

czerny

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
What version of IE you tested ?
That don't work with IE6 SP1 and IE5 SP4 ?
So, if the startpage could be user defineable (maybe under options->web) it would be also easyer for others to adjust it.
Least register value.

EDIT: resource name like START.HTM or SP1.HTM should be easy way to correct that problem in older IE.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:58:54 PM by timovjl »
May the source be with you

CommonTater

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
I do not expect that Pelle should fix this. I am very happy to have a good IDE which works with w2k.
But why should I not try to find a solution  for this problem. I too have good reasons not to upgrade.

As you know from my fiasco with Windows 8 (An error I won't be repeating) I've gone legacy too. My main coding machine now runs XP-x64. The others are a mix of Win7 (family machines) and XP (htpc systems) But I wouldn't go so far back that stuff stops working on me... 

Please don't be offended as I know we've already had this discussion, but I really can't think of a single reason not to move from Win2000 to (at least) windows XP...  W2k is now so old that you can't even run it on some of the oldest computers I service.  There are whole branches of technlogy W2k is not able to work with... such as the new HDAudio chips on most motherboards, SATA disk drives, USB 2 and 3 devices... XP will work anywhere Win2000 worked but the reverse is not true, Win2000 can't do a lot of stuff that XP takes in stride.

So please forgive me for asking again... but what possible reason could you have to not move from Win2000 to XP?

czerny

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
What version of IE you tested ?
That don't work with IE6 SP1 and IE5 SP4 ?

Hmm! You are right. Here win2k and ie6sp1 it doesn't work too.

I had testet this on a XP machine with ie6. I will have access to this on next friday and will check again.

czerny

czerny

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Please don't be offended as I know we've already had this discussion, but I really can't think of a single reason not to move from Win2000 to (at least) windows XP...  W2k is now so old that you can't even run it on some of the oldest computers I service.  There are whole branches of technlogy W2k is not able to work with... such as the new HDAudio chips on most motherboards, SATA disk drives, USB 2 and 3 devices... XP will work anywhere Win2000 worked but the reverse is not true, Win2000 can't do a lot of stuff that XP takes in stride.

So please forgive me for asking again... but what possible reason could you have to not move from Win2000 to XP?

Hallo Tater,

I do not want to start a new discussion. I only want to answer your question.

the situation is not as bad as you describe. USB 2 is no problem with win2k and sata drivers can be installed (F3) during installation. Though I can nothing say about Audio. I am not very challenging in this. On the other side: it is a very stable and quick (notably on modern hardware) operating system.

For me there are two main reasons not to upgrade:

I can understand that microsoft does not want to support every operating system deathless. But what I hat is to be treated like a puppet. Their firm philosophy is to force people to use what they want to sell and not to sell what people want to use.

The second cause is a practicle one. I have installed many and many tools and little environments and software packages which I need to do my daily work. It would me cost many days to setup a comparable system.

Hardware gets older. And same day my harddisc or something other will crash. Than I will upgrade.
I have bought XP long ago. It lies packed in a    drawer and waits for this day.

czerny

CommonTater

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 01:57:13 PM »
Hardware gets older. And same day my harddisc or something other will crash. Than I will upgrade.
I have bought XP long ago. It lies packed in a    drawer and waits for this day.

I see... but you do realize that unless you've got an OEM version of XP you can update in place without having to reinstall all your software... This is done by inserting the disk and clicking on the Setup.exe...  It will detect Win2k and go into an update mode that only replaces the necessary files... 90% of your software will still work as before.

Thanks for the reply. 

czerny

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
90% of your software will still work as before

This is very optimistc. I fear I have not enough confidence in this. And if really upgrade one day i will replace some of my hardware too.

czerny