NO

Author Topic: Newbie....  (Read 3591 times)

UFO_Hunter

Newbie....
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
Hi All,

Newbie here!

First, I'd like to say thanks to Pelles for freely offering this neato compiler and tool suite. It has a smooth feel..  And also to the forum crew for all the good answers I've been reading by y'all. 

I must say, that for a free-bie compiler and tools, it is pretty and after using Borland tools for many years, I'm a bit spoiled, and then having to go over to the caveman tools at Macro$haft, I quit programming for a long time bc of them.  Went back to hardware engineering. Am doing lots of embedded stuff in 'C' though, mostly ARM and AVR and some MSP430 stuff.  I'm looking forward to getting back to writing PC code again...and using PellesC.

I read hundreds of posts before coming here to ask newbie questions, which I'm sure that you all have heard over and over...also read the four question  'FAQ'.  I read somewhere that there is no IDE user manual, please, tell me it aint so? Though I have looked high and low.

Anyone know what all the keyboard commands do in the IDE?  Has anyone made an adhoc list somewhere? A text file?

Are the keyboard commands programmable? perhaps via a control file? My favorite keyboard code is the old WordStar control sequences which Borland more or less copied for their IDE. I'd sure like to use WordStar, it was  a truly superior interface compared to all the NotePond style interfaces out there in my opinion. 

I'd rather like to use the Pelles C IDE for awhile to see what everyone seems to think is so kewl about it?  I already changed the color and fonts, my eyes are not as good as they once were, and that party-blue background is ok if one is smoking pot (heh heh), the stoned-programmer!   

Thanks in advance,

UFO_Hunter
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:59:26 PM by Stefan Pendl »

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
Re: Newbie....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
Hi UFO_Hunter,

Welcome to the forum.

I read somewhere that there is no IDE user manual, please, tell me it aint so?

Did you check the POIDE Integrated Environment section of Pelles C Help?
Code it... That's all...

W4GNS

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
I read somewhere that there is no IDE user manual, please, tell me it aint so? Though I have looked high and low.

It ain't so............

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
Anyone know what all the keyboard commands do in the IDE?  Has anyone made an adhoc list somewhere? A text file?
Sorry, I am not aware of any such keyboard commands list, in this regards, Pelle's C is just like any other "mouse jockey" tool...
Are the keyboard commands programmable? perhaps via a control file? My favorite keyboard code is the old WordStar control sequences which Borland more or less copied for their IDE. I'd sure like to use WordStar, it was  a truly superior interface compared to all the NotePond style interfaces out there in my opinion. 
No, Pelle's C is certainly not using WordStar keys for editing and what personally bothers me (as I am using Borland/Inprise/Codegear/Embarcadero tools myself for 30 years now) is that the debugging keys are completely different. There is a limited way to edit keystroke sequences under "Tools-Customize" but that's about it...
I'd rather like to use the Pelles C IDE for awhile to see what everyone seems to think is so kewl about it?  I already changed the color and fonts, my eyes are not as good as they once were, and that party-blue background is ok if one is smoking pot (heh heh), the stoned-programmer!
The colors are actually for me the only thing I adjusted to my habits as well, as I don't smoke any pot either :P

But then I am/have been working with other IDEs on some other projects/development systems in the last few years (PIC Micro Pascal, MIDletPascal, zDevStudio, MC-Tools, and others), which have all their own IDE and keyboard layouts, so I kind of got used to it, just automatically get back into "Borland mode" when doing my work in Delphi... ;-)

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:17:01 AM »
I read hundreds of posts before coming here to ask newbie questions, which I'm sure that you all have heard over and over...also read the four question  'FAQ'.  I read somewhere that there is no IDE user manual, please, tell me it aint so? Though I have looked high and low.

Open POIDE ("the ide") click on any white space in the source code editor and press F1 on your keyboard...
Now follow this sequence... Contents -> Integrated Environment -> and start reading. 

Seriously... read the help file.  The IDE, the command line tools, the language and every function in the library is all documented there... right under that F1 key.

Are the keyboard commands programmable? perhaps via a control file?

Tools -> Customize -> Keyboard.

Oh and btw... welcome to the forums.

Online AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »
You forgot to read the help file to find the key layout.
Look in the help: content->Integrated Environment -> Editing keys
best regards
 Alex ;)