NO

Author Topic: break point  (Read 3737 times)

telsalti

break point
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:49:30 AM »

Hi,
 I am new with Pelles C. I am trying to debug my code using break point. I tried to follow the instructions to enable the debug option at  http://cboard.cprogramming.com/c-programming/131377-help-debugging-pelles-c-ide.html

but Pelles does not stop at any of my break points! please advice me what the problem could be.

thanks,

CommonTater

Re: break point
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:30:09 AM »
The get debugging to work you need to include debugging symbols in your code...

In the project menu click Project Options...
On the compiler tab set debuging to full...
On the linker tab ... for x86 (32 bit) select CodeView and Coff... for x64 (64 bit) select CodeView.
Close the window.

Now on the main toolbar click "Go Debug"... (Not "run")
You should now have a step through view of the source code where one line is processed for each click of the "step into" button.

If you set breakpoints, the code will run to the first breakpoint and stop, then clicking step into will go line by line.

It's one of those things that seems harder than it really is...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:33:44 AM by CommonTater »

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
but Pelles does not stop at any of my break points! please advice me what the problem could be.
Well, beside properly enabling the debug information (without that, you would not be able to set any breakpoints to begin with), is to see that you make sure that you place at least the very first breakpoint at a code line that is for sure being reached...

Ralf

telsalti

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »

Thank you so much for the responses. Ya now it works :)