NO

Author Topic: Fast chat  (Read 3703 times)

Elpower

Fast chat
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
Can be possible add "chatango" widget or similar in the forum?

CommonTater

Re: Fast chat
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
My question would be : "Why?"

Personally, I check here during my coffee breaks and also receive email notification on a selected threads...
The others are almost equally responsive so most questions here get answered in a couple of hours.

So, forgive me, but I would question the need for it...

Elpower

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
Just a idea...

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »
Since I am subscribed to the RSS feed, I get notified of changes on a regular basis.

Usually I don't post and wait for an answer.

Sure having a discussion via PM could be speed up by a chat, but Tater will confirm, that a PM "chat" is not that bad at all ;)
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »
Since I am subscribed to the RSS feed, I get notified of changes on a regular basis.

Usually I don't post and wait for an answer.

Sure having a discussion via PM could be speed up by a chat, but Tater will confirm, that a PM "chat" is not that bad at all ;)

Yep... we've had some pretty good chats in PMs... just look at the dot before our usernames... if it's lit up we're online and pms propogate immediately.

@Elpower ... It may or may not be a good idea... Let me expand on my point a bit...

If the idea was to get "instant answers" then I would counsel you about patience and courtesty :D  It's a bit rough to make demands of immediacy an all-volunteer crew supporting a free product.  Also the demand for an immediate answer pretty much takes away our chance to give that answer some thought... which may result in bad or mistaken answers to your questions.

Now if it was understood that a "chatroom" was purely a social thing and programming questions should still be asked in the main forums... well then it's a much better idea.

Anyhow... I'm not the one who makes the decisions.  That's up to Christian so lets let him chime in on this...