NO

Author Topic: Translation is not working  (Read 9412 times)

migf1

Re: Translation is not working
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »

Ummmm... why the online translations?  It seems to me the first prerequisite here is that you need to know both English and the target language to a reasonable level of confidence.

I think I do have those, since I've studied CS in the States (Boston University) a long long (long long) time ago :lol:

However, each platform provides certain localization guidelines and I must admit that Microsoft's are quite strict too (check out for example the "Style Guides" section, at the Microsoft link I provided above and download the Greek guidelines to get the idea... it is written in English, presenting Greek examples). Frankly, I was quite impressed!

I tried your mymemory.translated.net link with "My car is blown out" english to french, it came back with "C'est complètement absurde" which translates back to "That's totally ridiculous"...  In my experience mechanical translation is, in fact, totally ridiclous.

That was my secondary source, complementing the Greek Open Source Localization Glossary. That's the glossary used in all Open Source applications translated to Greek.

I've also posted a link to it, but alas it is pretty much useless to non-Greek readers. Still, you may try typing an English term into that little search-box if you wish to see its Greek translation, if it is available that is. Not all of them are, that's why I used mymemory too (it can be quite useful if you narrow down the search keys).

Anyway, I think I'll send the translation to Pelle today. I've fixed most of the inconsistencies between the Open Source and Microsoft terminology (in favor of Microsoft's of course).

TBH I'm a bit fed up with it for the moment, since I was working on it in a somewhat frantic rate for the last week. I think it is already at high standards, quite similar to professional Greek translations of Microsoft products.

Of course there is room for improvement, but I'll revisit it when a stable 7.xx release of Pelles C comes out. I'll do it then ;)

Btw, the most difficult part was the resource editor, especially naming the window controls (listbox, combo-box, etc, along with their properties). They are now in par with Microsoft's guidelines (as is more than 85-90% of the translation in general).

Unfortunately I couldn't find serious beta testers for the translation, so I guess Pelles C Greek users will have to play that part :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:41:48 PM by migf1 »

CommonTater

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »
Unfortunately I couldn't find serious beta testers for the translation, so I guess Pelles C Greek users will have to play that part :)

Most of us on this forum are pretty self-sufficient.  Was a time I would ask people to help me test my addins and libraries but I eventually gave up on that.  These days I tend to get them working on my machines and then submit them and wait for the flood of comments  :D 

I do hope you understand that I wasn't complaining or challenging... merely making an observation that a lot of these online tools are pretty much crap and we most often do better on our own initiatives; as you did.

migf1

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
I do hope you understand that I wasn't complaining or challenging...
Yeap :)