NO

Author Topic: Manually editing the the Location field in the New project dialog  (Read 4713 times)

iZzz32

When I edit the location field of the New project dialog and then edit a project name Pelles C resets the location field to remembered a directory which was last selected with Browse (...) button. Even when I edit the project name field first and then the location field, it does not change Output and Result fields accordingly, so I have to press an Advanced button and edit the path THREE times!
Is it too hard to fix this behavior somehow?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:14:24 PM by iZzz32 »

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Re: Manually editing the the Location field in the New project dialog
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »
Yes, it's pretty hard to reliably figure out what has been changed. It's easier to just learn/accept the current behaviour, and adjust to that.
After all, I doubt you spend all your time in Pelles C creating projects...
/Pelle

CommonTater

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
Hi Pelle...
I think what's happening is that many of us are using workspaces that are somewhat different than POIDE was designed to create... 

A typical workspace tree for me looks like this...
Code: [Select]
    ..\Coding ---- Workspace --- Project
                             --- Project
                             --- Project  --- output32
                                          --- output64
That is, one base workspace folder, with a bunch of projects under it.

When creating multiple projects, POIDE wants to put the PPW file in the same folder as the first PPJ, but I always want it in the Workspace folder.  (Which is why I wrote the WSEdit AddIn, so I can create workspace files where I want them.)

It would be a whole lot better if I could just go File -> New -> Workspace, give it a name and path and have it open as an empty workspace in POIDE... from there I can create my projects inside the workspace.

Also, when creating a new project, the New Project wizard seems to parrot the folder from the last project created, which might be entire hard disks away from where I'm working at the moment.  It would make more sense (to me at least) if the "Location" bar were to reflect the current workspace folder by default.

Also, if we manually change that Location bar, it's really really annoying to have POIDE reset it back to whatever the default was as soon as we type in the project name.

EDIT: The location bar problem might be easily solved by getting the window text before appending the project name to it.

As you correctly point out, these can be considered infrequent annoyances when working on a large project but from another point of view they can also be seen as the software not supporting the way we work.

True enough, nothing about this is disastrous. But it does wear a little thin, as iZzz32 pointed out, when you're working on a couple of different jobs and adding new projects to multiple workspaces in no particular order... I don't even want to guess how often I've had to move projects around and fix them manually after accidentally creating them in the wrong places...

I don't know the innards of POIDE, but if these changes are possible, I would definately like to see them.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:29:28 PM by CommonTater »

czerny

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »
I too have problems with the way poide is organizing the work space.

I like to have a directory with one ppw and a couple of subdirectories in it. Each subdirectory has its one ppj and its source files. This is not supported by the ide and I often have to move and adjust the ppw files.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
If Workspace/Project is open, File -> New -> Project could use .ppw path in Location field and
option Add to existing workspace active as default.
May the source be with you